Gain Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gain Problem

DCart 10, Windows 10: When applying Gain Normalize or Normalized Gain Scaling to a stereo file where the peak signal level is in the right channel, I get a normalized left channel and a clipping right channel. it appears that only the left channel is being searched for the peak signal level.
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 05-28-2019, 06:06 PM.

Yes. It takes the higher of the two channel's signals and normalizes both channels to that peak value. Otherwise, it would create a gain imbalance between the two channels, which would not have been the intent of the original master engineers. If you want to violate the original "balance" of the material, then you can gain normalize each channel one at a time (L, R icons).

Craig
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 07-29-2018, 05:32 PM.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

You misunderstood me. The right channel has the higher peak value, but it appears to be normalizing to the left channel peak value. When the Normalized Gain Scaling is set to -1.0, the left channel ends up -1.0 and the right channel ends up above 0. When Gain Normalize is used, the left channel is 0, and the right channel is further above 0.

Comment

It could be a bug. Will have to look into it.

Craig
        "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Working...
        X