Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stanton 500 users - Make your 78's come alive.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stanton 500 users - Make your 78's come alive.

Those of you are using a flat preamp such as the Tracer CTP-1000, have you ever noticed when you restore an old 78 it sounds OK, but you end up having to equalize to try and make it sound fuller and maybe a little less tinny? Well here is an easy way to get great equalization out of your 78's with less effort.

I have been using a special procedure with ALL of my 78's that has made me quite happy with the results. If you try it, you will need to use it as a first step after recording, before your regular clean-up & other processing, including the speed change.

In the Multi-Filter section, you may have already used the Stanton 500 Compensation Curve for your LP's. That filter contains a Parametric EQ set up for the RIAA EQ curve, and also has a 20 band EQ set up to flatten the Stanton 500's response. I have borrowed the 20 band EQ and made a single preset for you to use that I have marked "78 EQ Stanton 500" to try with all of your 78's. Found at https://www.diamondcut.com/vforum/fo...nton-500-users

My thought is, the cartridge response is the combined result of the stylus tip, motor structure & it's suspension. Using optional available 78 eliptical diamond tips with this cartridge should result in a very similar response, thus requiring the need for this curve for playback of 78's as well as LP's. After using this curve in my process, I have found some of my 78 restorations sound so wide banded and smooth I am able to Stereo-ize many of them with good results, as I have done here in my before & after samples for you to check out for yourself, once they're posted.

Note: This preset can be applied to your existing 78 restorations, but will only work properly if you have not tried to equalize the recording already. However, having the proper Bass Turnover Frequency already won't cause a problem. Also note this EQ will only work properly if it is used at the speed you originally recorded the music at. If you recorded it at 45 RPM, you will need to change the speed back down to that, apply the EQ, and then bring the speed back to normal.

I hope all of you enjoy this method as much as I have. It may not be the perfect equalization for every 78, but it may make for a better starting point with less EQ tweaking.

About the sample - It is a first year electrical recording (1927) and the song reached No. 15 on the charts on January 7, 1928. I never expected to hear this kind of clean clear stereo sound, especially the instrumental right after the vocal solo, from a record almost a century old. It would be safe to say the majority of people that bought this record new were using wooden or steel needles. If they only had known the quality that was hidden in the grooves of those old records.
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 06-28-2019, 06:30 PM.

Thanks for the feedback, DJ. We are working on posting the before and after on the before and after section of the DC Homepage (www.diamondcut.com).
    I will update when it is posted.

Craig
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

We have posted the restoration and enhancement work done by DJ Bohn here on our website. It is titled "When the Morning Glories Wake Up in the Morning". Enjoy and nice job, DJ.

https://www.diamondcut.com/st3/before-and-after/

Craig

"Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Working...
      X