DC10.06 Recording Window crashes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC10.06 Recording Window crashes

Recently, DC10.06 began crashing every time I open Record File then click Pause (either in the Record window or the toolbar pause) or Record. Windows Event Logs shows Exception Code 0XC0000005 and Faulting Module C:\Windows\System32\WINMMBASE.dll every crash.

Yesterday, after dozens of crashes, open/close the app, reboots, I "fixed" it temporarily simply by opening the Record window and hitting the toolbar Pause first (not the Record window pause). Then, I could pause/record/stop numerous test recordings with any of those 3 buttons and no crashes. That's literally all I did to fix it.

Today, after launching DC10 the first time, it once again crashed every time I hit any of the 3 buttons. I didn't install any Windows or app updates in the interim. I've tried switching from my M-Audio soundcard to the Realtek soundcard, but no effect.

I have DC7.15 and DC8.5 also installed on my Windows 8.1 machine. The Record window works fine in those 2 apps and has never crashed once. I have the same Preference settings (soundcard, etc) for DC10 as for the other 2 apps, aside from the location of the Tempfiles and Presets, of course.

Any idea why DC10 is being persnickety? I can just continue to record with DC7 or 8, but it must be something simple if my pause button fix worked for a while. Thanks!
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 09-06-2019, 04:59 PM.

That symptom is indicative of a corrupted file in your software. The only way to fix it is to un-install it and then re-install it from your installer (.msi). It could also indicate that your hard drive is getting towards the end of its life - - - sectors going bad.

Craig
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

The past few days, all is well with DC10 - I can't seem to reproduce the problem now. If it returns, I'll try reinstalling or updating to a new version. Since recording in DC7 and DC8 to the same SSD c-drive has never crashed, I'd assume the drive is OK, and the problem was in the software, wouldn't you? Thanks, Craig.

Comment

If it was in the software, it would have been widely reported and it has not. So, it is something related to your system, especially since it came out of nowhere.

Craig

Comment

I have had some similar problems with the software crashing using the record file features. I found that the problem seemed to occur when I first used the feature after I new install.

One time the problem stopped when I selected the "use primary sound capture driver" on the record screen instead of the actual sound card name.

Another time it just stopped after multiple crashes, so I can't really say what I did to "fix" it.

I did observe that it would only happen the first time you used the record file option and that once "fixed" it was always "fixed".

Marc

Comment

Ok - so noted. That means that we now have two observations of this. It could still be two systems with bad hard drive sectors. Until a pattern emerges, it is impossible to do anything except monitor the situation. Just as a note, the DCArt10 versions have been around for around roughly 4 years now and have a very large universe of users using the products.

Craig

Comment

Update:
              Record File has crashed or not crashed in the past week with no pattern. So it crashed one day, then OK for the next few days, then crashed the next, etc. Sometimes it crashes right after opening DC10 and testing Record File, sometimes after using the app for hours, and vice versa (OK after opening, OK after hours of use). It was OK last night before I shut down, but crashed today on initial use.

I've run Windows Check Disk and System File Checker a number of times but all scans are negative (no bad sectors). As I mentioned before, both DC7 and DC8 Record File work perfectly every time (never crashed) which is puzzling to say the least.

I haven't made the leap to DC10.5 yet, since I'm happy with the 10.06 interface and I don't feel like changing right now, but I imagine I could try that. I reinstalled 10.06 but that didn't fix it.

I recall a minor update, 10.08, but that doesn't seem to be available at Diamond Cut or Tracer Tek anymore. Is there someway I could get that update to try? Thanks.

Comment

The archives (limited few) are located here, but I do not see 10.08.

https://www.diamondcut.com/st3/dwnload/

I recommend trying DCArt10.5x to see if that fixes the problem. It works for 15 days as a fully functional demo and would be a good diagnostic tool for you to test. It is found here:

https://www.diamondcut.com/Downloads/DC1051Setup.msi

It costs nothing to try. I still suspect something is defective on these two systems, as these are the only two reports of it's occurance.

Let us know what you discover. Also, just for the heck of it, you might want to checkbox the re-initialze on play feature found under the soundcard preferences tab in Diamond Cut (under the edit menu).

Craig

Comment

Working...
                X