Cutomization settings gone with 10.6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutomization settings gone with 10.6

I updated to 10.6 (after deleting 10.51) and found my menu customizations gone. Can you tell me where the old ones are stored and if I can get 10.6 to recognize them without doing everything all over. I wasn't expecting the menu customizations to go.

I am not sure where they are kept; I will look into it.

Craig
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Rick reported to me that they are kept in the registry. His concern is side-effects. If those are restored, what damage will be done to the software proper. That is not yet known.

Craig

Comment

We do not recommend experimenting around in the computer registry; you could damage your system.

Craig

Comment

06-23-2017, 02:45 PM

I wonder if the various presets and preferences could be all in a folder on your drive. Then, you could save the folder and after a new install, copy over the files with your preferences ?

​When I installed DCart10, I copied the multifilter settings from my DC Forensics 10 folder to my DCart10 multifilter folder and checked the box to just copy different files. In that manner, I had my old multifilters in the latest version of DCart10. I do not know, however, how to copy over the "preferences".

Marc
          Marc offered this solution during DCForensics10 Beta. I spend a lot of time getting my presets and settings just the way I want them. When a new update is installed, having to redo all of my work is not fun.
          D
          Dub: to mix (recorded sound or videotape from different sources) into a single recording

Comment

The presets are a different matter; they are located in the Presets Directory under the Diamond Cut Program group. You can easily copy and paste them to a new temp directory before installing a new version of the program and then move over the ones that you like.

Craig
            Last edited by Craig Maier; 12-30-2019, 12:06 PM.

Comment

I lost my custom menus. (I knew about the presets, so that is not a problem).

1. Are you saying we have to reconfigure the menu every time there is an update and we should be prepared to do that?
              2. If I reinstall 10.51 will my custom menu come back (so at least I can see what items I had).

Comment

We do not yet know. It's not as simple as it sounds.

Craig
                Last edited by Craig Maier; 12-31-2019, 01:52 PM.

Comment

One question is this - - - when we add new menus or menu items for new features, how do we handle that situation? (rhetorical question to ponder). And, we are open to suggestions about it - - -. Consider that we are continually adding new features and menu items. Put another way, how do we improve things and add features, filters and menus without changing anything so that everything remains downward-compatible. It's probably possible, but not so trivial to do.
                  Last edited by Craig Maier; 01-01-2020, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Just an update: I reverted to 10.51 and the customized ribbons on the menu did not reappear, so you do have to be prepare to recreate your custom menus when you upgrade. Crag, I suggest that you consider suggesting to upgraders when you issue a new version that they take a screen shot of their menus before they upgrade so it is easier to do that. You procedures for customizing are good; its just that it is a pain if you can't remember your menus.

Comment

Ok - thanks for the suggestion - I will look into doing thata bit later today.

Comment

Working...
                      X