A Milestone and Kudos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Milestone and Kudos

So, I hit a milestone last week. For a long time now, I have been working to digitize all my record albums and audio cassettes. I have a collection of about 1500 albums and 800 cassettes (some commercially purchased, some recordings of albums I've made over the years, and some recordings from the radio). Well, last week, I have captured my very last album and cassette. Everything is on a computer hard disk now, and all albums have had an initial scrubbing using Diamond Cut. Now I have to do the work of cleaning up any extraneous noise between the tracks (I mute the silence between the tracks and fade in/fade out the tails of the previous/next track. I have already done about half of my collection, so I'm actually well on my way.

I then rip everything to 320 kbps MP3 files, which I can play on other devices, and especially in my vehicle, where these days it seems I do most of my listening, or in my travel trailer for when we go camping.

I could never had done any of this without Diamond Cut. I've tried other audio editing programs, but nothing compares to Diamond Cut for its ease of use and its quality filtering results. My friends are amazed at the quality of the audio, especially for a lot of content that otherwise would have been lost to the annals of time.

I also have about 2000 CDs that I am in the process of ripping, also (again, about halfway through), and a number of MP3 albums I have purchased from Amazon, so in the end, I'll have a digitized collection of about 5000 volumes/albums.

Thank you, Craig and Rick, for your great product. I have been a fan since I started back with DCArt3 (that I got for free with a "Smart And Friendly" CD writer I bought some 20 years ago). I have upgraded to every version since then, and it just keeps getting better.

As to my process, before starting this journey, I created a spreadsheet to track my progress. it lists every album, along with information about each album (label, release date, etc). It tracks when I have transferred the album to my hard drive and when I have "cleaned up" any extraneous noise on the album. I took a picture of every album cover, so the resulting MP3 file will show "my album" (scuffs on the cover and any writing and all). After using DC to split the album into tracks, I create a Nero NRG virtual CD image (which, by the way, is mountable as a virtual CD drive on my computer, so i can listen that way as well). I then use a very old copy of Nero (Nero 8) to keep a database of all the CD images and the tracks on each album and then rip to both a 128 kbps (for transfer to my smart phone to maximize quantity) and a 320 kbps MP3 file (for listening on my home stereo). I then use MediaMonkey Gold to complete the tagging of the MP3 files, including inserting the album cover image and other album-related information. I also have a little text file for each album that lists every track on each album. it has been a labor of love over several years now, and i expect to finish probably by the end of 2021. I have ripped approximately 30,00 of the ultimate 50,000 tracks I will have at the end.

Of course, once I finish all that, then there's the matter of my 94 year old father's record collection, which will be like starting all over again. But it's something I love doing.

So, thanks again, and keep up with this awesome program that no one else can hold a candle to...
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 07-12-2020, 07:16 PM.
    John

Hi,

We are always pleased to learn of another success story involving the use of our products. We appreciate the kudos and keep up the good work!

All the Best,

Craig
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

We have a testimonials section on our website. Question: Can we use your text as one of those? My only legal question involves the use of other companies names in such a document. It may be ok, but would have to check with our legal council to be sure that it does not open us up for something in that domain.

Please Advise,

Craig

Comment

Congrats, Sus4Chord. Pretty major accomplishment!

Dan
        Dan McDonald

Comment

Craig - I'm happy to provide my testimonial. If the name of other products are of concern, then feel free to say "an audio CD creation tool" and/or "an MP3 library management tool" or something to that effect. I only mentioned the names, as I have found them to best support my personal work flow.
          John

Comment

Hi,

Thanks - - - we will leave it the way that it is after asking our business council. I am never really sure about legal matters; it is not as logical as Engineering related thinking.

Best Regards,

Craig

Comment

I read it; cool! Sorry it took me so long to respond just now; my wife and I have been camping (well, not roughing it, we had our travel trailer) for the past week.
              John

Comment

Thanks again! Enjoy the rest of the summer.

Comment

Working...
                X