Question about Dealing with CX-encoded Albums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Dealing with CX-encoded Albums

I recently picked up a copy of one of my favorite albums, Claude Bolling's "Toot Suite," only to find out after I got it home that it was one of CBS' few CX-encoded albums. I was unable to find a CX decoder on eBay, so I may have to emulate it in DCart10.

From what I've read, it compresses the signal 2:1 during the cutting process, and the decoder undoes that. If I use the Expander section of the Dynamics tool and setting it to a 2.0 ratio, would that be sufficient to undo the compression? The article I read says that CX-encoded albums are listenable without the decoder, but I'm ripping it right now like that, and it sounds kinda flat, with no low end.
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 01-09-2021, 10:52 AM.

Hi - I have never tried that. I suspect that I would do two things. First, I would use the dyamics processor as you indicated in expansion mode - - - it may take some adjustments of the attack and release times to get it to track correctly. Lastly, I would bring up the Virtual Phono Preamp and use the bass control to bring back the bass by around 6.0 dB with the mids and treble set to 0 dB. I might also consider reversing the two processes, meaning applying the VPP first and then the Dynamics Processor Expander. Let me know if that does the trick.

Craig
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Working...
    X