DirectSound Error, out of the blue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DirectSound Error, out of the blue

(This issue began when using DC8.1. It continues now with DC10.7) ...

I get the following error when clicking the Record button:

"DirectSound Error: The request failed because resources, such as a priority level, were already in use by another caller."

I never had this issue before until late 2020, during the last few Windows 10 updates before the recent major one.
    Other software records OK for me; it's strictly a DC issue.

Please advise. How do I fix this issue so that I can record again using DC?

Thanks

Maybe the new Win10 update defaults to the microphone being turned off, which could inhibit all recording processes. Not sure though.

Craig
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

This error occurs regardless of source...browser audio, microphone, etc.

For playback, my Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 is the default device (as usual / desired. Historically, no problems).
      For recording, the Scarlett 6i6 id Default and the Microphone Array is the default communications device.

The microphone works OK. It records fine in, e.g., Audacity.

Changing these around yielded the same error msg.

Comment

It sounds like a file has perhaps become corrupted, since it used to work ok. Maybe the sound card driver needs to be re-installed. Try this - switch to the internal sound card for the machine (edit/preferences/soundcard) and see if you get the same result. That would narrow it down.

Comment

Changing the default Recording device got rid of the error. (Of course, I cannot keep this config because there is no sound. Long story).
          What might this suggest?

Comment

Well, to me it suggests that the external sound card driver has either become corrupted or is not compatible with the latest generation of a Win10 update. Check the soundcard company website and see if they have a new driver.
            Last edited by Craig Maier; 02-01-2021, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Route 66,

If you have not tried this :

1. Set Focusrite to what you want (sample rate).
              2. Run DCart Software.
              3. Set soundcard preference to Focusrite record and playback (use DirectX).
              4. Set Record window values to Focusrite settings (if different).
              5. Try recording

Marc

Comment

Marc,
                I did those things as you prescribed, and the error message persists.

I'm not convinced that the Focusrite site is offering the latest software updates. I will try to investigate.

Thank you.

--Paul

Comment

Paul of Route 66,

I did not find the Focusrite Scarlet 6i6 on their web site. Is it an older product?

Also, does the Focusrite software control the sample rate of the scarlet 6i6 with no problem ?
                  If it does, set the sample rate to a value and then through Microsoft Control Panel application see if the rate you selected via Focusrite is now the same value as Windows indicates.

Marc

Comment

Paul,

Did you find a sound-card driver that fixed the problem?

Craig

Comment

SpunkysSD in the Dcart8 forum gave a good answer to the problem.

Read his comment about the need to let desktop applications access your microphone. It's in the privacy part of Windows 10 settings.

Marc

Comment

I found the latest software for the Scarlett 6i6, installed it, and the error message is gone. DC records once again!
                        I did not have to make any config changes beyond what I've already described.

Thanks, everybody. Looking forward to seeing what DC10 can do.

Comment

Paul,

Thanks for the solution answer. By the way, are you changing the sample rate settings via the Focusrite application ?

Marc

Comment

Glad to learn that the problem is solved. I guess that the older driver was not compatible with the latest incarnation of Win10.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                            X