My New Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My New Project

So, my folks have had to move into an assisted living facility, which doesn't have the room that their 5 bedroom house has (which they are keeping, but no one is currently living there). As a result, I am now in possession of my dad's record and tape collection. So, I have started the process of digitizing them all. I just recently finished my own record collection (which included about 1500 albums, 800 cassettes, and 2000 CDs - all converted to high quality MP3's and loaded on my phone's SD card - I now carry around about 50,000 songs with me everywhere I go).

Anyway, my dad has about 1100 singles (33's, 45's, and 78's), as well as about 2300 "albums", which includes long play albums, as well as EP collections (again 33's, 45's, and 78's, and a bunch of cassettes, most of which are in the "Old Radio" genre).

As is my practice, I have captured all the titles in my tracking spreadsheet (where I keep track of what I have and haven't done) and I have created album art for every single one of them (I use my phone to take a picture of the album art and save as .jpg, ultimately to serve as the album art for the MP3's. For those that didn't have album art, I found DISCOGS .com a great resource, especially for difficult to find albums.

I am in the process of recording everything (with DCArt10, of course). I'm about 90% through all the singles, and almost all the 78's. I'll hit the EP's next, then on to the vinyl albums and cassette tapes. Once I have everything recorded (which I'm guessing will take a year or two, depending upon how diligent I am), I'll start "cleaning" the recordings and converting the albums to "virtual" CD's (I use Nero to create a .NRG file, which can then be virtually mounted as an audio CD, and that makes it easy to rip to MP3, rather than a track at a time). Then on to MP3 and the associated tagging and adding album art, which will then go on my phone for me to take with me. Everything gets backed up in two locations.

It's a labor of love and I"m looking forward to it. I'm listening to stuff I haven't heard in a long time, many of the titles I grew up with from when I lived at home. Many are also records that were mine, but I guess I had left them at the house when I left home for college and the Army.

Fun times.
    John

Hi,

That is a huge collection - - - quite a bit larger than mine which includes 750 LPs and numerous 78s, reel to reel tapes and cassettes. The way I dealt with the LPs was to transfer as I was working. After all the LPs were transferred and cleaned up, I used the CD Prep function that includes find and mark silent passages and then break file intplo pieces which yields each track as a single tune. They all ended up as . wav and also .mp3 files (batch file editor made the job easy and off line). My database is DCTunes which comes with the software. I took note of Discogs.com which I was not aware of (for artwork). I plan to check that out - sounds interesting.

Thanks,

Craig
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 05-25-2022, 04:12 PM.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

My dad is almost 93 years old, and there's music from multiple genres going back to the 1940's up to the 2000's. As a result of COVID, we have been teleworking since March 2020, so I'm really enjoying listening to the music I'm recording while I work.
      John

Comment

Just be sure to keep the volume low while you are transferring if you want optimal transfers. The record/pickup acts like a microphone, and even if the system is not 'howling' the transfer is still impacted by the low-level feedback (in engineering terms, even if the return-ratio of the feedback process is less than unity). Certain frequencies could be overly amplified and room resonances transferred as well to your computer unless that transfer rule is followed. I transferred all of my records at a very low sound level in my audio lab - - - just enough to know when the record was finished.

Craig
        "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Working...
        X