Can an audio clip be uploaded to a post for assistance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can an audio clip be uploaded to a post for assistance

I would like to solicit some assistance with a 78 recording I captured involving distortion. Is it possible to upload a short audio clip so I can demonstrate the issue. I tried and I get a message that wav files are not allowed to be uploaded.

Bob W.

Hi,

Sure. Send the clip to my personal email acct which is dctools@aol.com.

Best if sent in raw form so I can analyze the root cause of the problem (flat transfer is optimal). Also, be sure it is sent in stereo even though the record is a mono 78. I will analyze it and explain any issues that I find and how to fix them.

Craig

ps - they should be digitized at a sample rate of at least 44.1 or 48 kHz. You need not send the entire record transfer; 20 seconds will suffice. Make sure that the transfer is done using a 78 stylus and not an LP stylus.
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 08-13-2022, 10:36 PM.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Thank you, Craig. Will do

Bob

Comment

Post something here after you send the file and I will go and look for it in my email.

Craig

Comment

Craig, I sent you the email with the audio clip attached.

Bob

Comment

Ok - I will go check my inbox.

Craig

Comment

Got it. Have not worked on it yet, but gave it a quick listen. It sounds like what we call a badly "steeled" (played with a steel needle) a zillion times. Will try to fix it up later today.

Craig

Comment

I sent something back to you to evaluate. There was no lead-in to sample on, but I did the best I could despite that element missing
                Last edited by Craig Maier; 08-15-2022, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Here are the steps used on the sample that I sent:

Basic Conditions - American 78 rpm lateral cut big band record transfered using a flat phono preamplifier at 44.1 kHZ. Sample was around 20 seconds long and 16 bit resolution. No lead-in noise grove portion was contained in the sample. The software was operated in classic edit mode (FE meaning Fast Edit mode off).

1. The proper EQ was applied using the Diamond Cut Productions Virtual Phono Preamp (VPP) with the following settings: Hardware - set for flat preamp. Record Type: - set for American 78s and rumble filter on. Tone controls are turned off. (Do Not Check Mono or Verticals).

2. The left channel was badly "steeled" from past playing with a steel needle and not being changed after each play (a requirement that most people ignored in the record's hay day). The Left channel was removed in FE mode by applying the File Conversion Filter using "from stereo to mono (right channel only).

3. Make Destination the Source and you will see only one channel in the upper time display.

4. Apply the EZ Impulse Filter with the following settings: Scratch - 35, Crackle - 45, Narrow Crackle - 90.2 and then run the filter

5. Make Destination the Source.

6. Bring up the low pass (IIR based) Low Pass filter. Set the frequency to 7000, 18 dB/Octave, Butterworth and run it.

7. Now, use the CNF, but go gently with it. You will have to experiment since I have no noise reference.

8. Lastly, apply a little EQ if you do not like the sonic balance - - - it's probably fine without doing that stage. If you do, try the 10 band graphic EQ.

Craig

ps - the reason one channel is almost always noisier on old shellac lateral cut 78s is that the steel needle not only picked up the undulations in the grove (in order to produce sound) but also provided the motive force to move the pickup along the spiral. That caused un-even wear on the record especially when the steel needle was not replaced after each record play (one record play per needle was the requirement) but few people followed that recommendation. That produced the noise and distortion on grove wall that was greater than the other wall.
                  Last edited by Craig Maier; 08-15-2022, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Craig, I can't thank you enough for your support. I started with my original raw audio capture and followed your steps and achieved the same wonderful results. Additionally, I ran CNF using moderate settings as well as using a bit of small room ambience. Great result. The before and after comparison is astounding. I would never have discovered eliminating the left channel without your suggestion.

Thank you again for your outstanding support of your product and your dedication to helping us users./

Bob W

Comment

"Stairway to the Stars". Nice tune - - - Glenn Miller, right? I wonder if it inspired the Led Zepplin hit "Stairway to Heaven". Who knows. Glad that the restoration worked out for you. Most of the time on old shellac 78s, it is the left grove channel (grove wall) that is the noiseyist, but not always. Test both and chose the best. If it is a virgin record, the VPP has a mode you can chose which converts lateral 78s to mono using both channels. The VPP also has a mode to extract the vertical component from vertical cut discs like Edison Diamond Discs. It's probably worthwhile reading the entire help file section on the Virtual Phono Preamp. It won't take more than around 10 to 15 minutes and there is a lot of information there.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                      X