How important is the PC sound card in the record restoration process

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How important is the PC sound card in the record restoration process

I have a new AT-LP120XUSB TT and a Rek O Kut Ultra Phono Preamp. I have been learning DC10.8 with great initial results. The one thing I had not thought about is the PC sound card. I am using a HP desktop pc with 24gb of ram and Intel I7 processor. However, I am using the on board sound card. I will say that the audio presented to my powered speakers sounds very good. Should I consider an upgrade to improve audio capture and restoration or not.

Thanks for any comments.

Bob W.
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 08-19-2022, 11:19 AM.

The largest difference that I have noted between sound cards is their noise floors. Some people use external sound cards which intrinsically yield lower noise floors than the onboard sound card. Goto our website's knowledge base and I recall that there is a application note that addresses the measurement of sound card noise.

Craig
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Check out AN2 found among these Application Notes: https://www.diamondcut.com/st3/kb-ca...ication-notes/

Comment

I use an external USB to audio device from the Focus Rite company. The model is the Scarlett one.
        Works very well and has very low noise.

Marc

Comment

Marc - thanks for the feedback.

Craig

Comment

Thanks so much for the great info. I will have a look at those references

Comment

Also, check out the user's guide found in the software program grouping in .pdf. Additionally, on our website is a Music Restoration Handbook published by Marc Hildebrant which is here: https://www.diamondcut.com/st3/produ...tion-handbook/
              Last edited by Craig Maier; 08-20-2022, 08:02 PM.

Comment

The user's manual .pdf can also be found under the Help File Menu - - - it is a link to the .pdf.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                X