Rumble introduced in the recording

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rumble introduced in the recording

Hi, I'm a new user of DCART 4.0. I got the software bundled with the XPsound product.

The play-through (i.e. the LP sound coming through the pre-amp and computer speakers) is good, but the recorded sound has a nasty low rumble that I can't get rid of with the software. I have a feeling this is because of poor A-D conversion in my soundcard (since it's a Soundblaster AWE 64, mostly a playback card, not a recording card). Do you agree? Does this problem sound familiar? Is there a filter I can apply in the software to get rid of this, or do I have to replace the sound card? Can you recommend a new cheap soundcard for me?

A couple of other things: my turntable isn't grounded. Do you think this is the cause of the recorded rumble, and do you think it's a problem? Also, I can hear a hum when the computer speakers are turned way up, and I use my optical mouse. Do you think that's a problem? should I avoid using the mouse when recording (will the hum be picked up by he recording?)

My PC is a Celeron 800 MHz with 128 MB of RAM, and Windows 2000 Professional.

Any help on the matter is appreciated.
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 05-16-2019, 06:42 PM.

Re: Rumble introduced in the recording

An ungrounded turntable will cause a "buzzing" sound, not rumble. Rumble usually comes from low quality thrust bearings in a turntable or an overall low quality turntable. The Continuous Noise Filter is good at reducing Rumble. Also worth considering is appling the high pass filter set for around 70 Hz at 18 dB/Octave.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Re: Rumble introduced in the recording

Thanks for taking a look at this. I'm quite sure this rumble isn't caused by the turntable. The sound is OK when played from the record, I only hear the rumble when playing the recorded file.

Comment

Working...
      X