Walk through on combining .wav files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walk through on combining .wav files

With 3.12, could someone provide with a step-by-step walkthrough on how to start with a few .wav files and end up with a single .wav files consisting of each with a second or so (quiet) gap in between?

Thanks! /bernie]

Re: Walk through on combining .wav files

As a footnote, I've been playing around and I almost have made it work, aside from what I think is a bug [or at least a bit of underdocumentation] in DC-ART. I found that the 'Paste Insert' function potentially does exactly what I need. [i can make the 'gap' just by nulling out a region of the appropriate durationg and inserting THAT, so my problem reduced to "how can I append one .wav sample to another", and past-insert will do the job.

My problem right now is to understand exactly *WHERE* paste-insert inserts the sample. The help file only says:

...it appends the "Copy" temporary file to the desired Wavefile.

I tried doing a paste insert and I was a bit surprised to find the copied-in data at the *FRONT* of the source-buffer. I tried doing an explicit 'select all' [to ensure that the END of the selected region was at the end of my source file], but still it 'appended' [sic!] to the front.

I eventually got it to do what I wanted by going in and selecting just the last sample-or-two [that is, explicitly setting up a very tiny 'select' region that is RIGHT at the end of the source file. Doing that, and then a paste-insert, and it seemed to do the right thing.

I'm still not sure exactly what the 'rules'for paste insert are -- that is, what you actually need to do to get it to *append* [as per the docs]. Having to make a small by-hand select region at the end is an OK workaround, but is a bit of a pain..

Thanks! /bernie\

Comment

Re: Walk through on combining .wav files

OK, I understand why I was confused [and what lead to my original inquiry]. The problem is that the help file uses a somewhat idiosyncratic use of the term 'append' in the description of paste-insert.

Here's the scoop [after a bunch of testing]: paste-insert inserts the copy-data *in*front* of the currently selected region. Simple as that.

Comment

Working...
      X