Sound cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound cards

I'm looking for a new sound card. Any suggestions which one is the most suitable for DCart32 and Sound Forge? With out it costing both an arm and a leg.

Re: Sound cards

You might want to check the Philips Acoustic Edge. (http://www.3dsoundsurge.com/reviews/...usticEdge.html) and (http://www.pcsound.philips.com/acoustic.html). Street price is $79.00, which is definately not an arm and a leg. It has great sound and comes with DVD playing software. It can do 2 channels up to 5.1 channel audio. Reviews think it sounds better than Soundblaster Platinum and Turtle Beach Santa Cruz. I think you'd have to go to a professional card (~300-$500) to get a better sounding card.

When Hoontech decided not to release W2K drivers for the card I had, I decided to give the Acoustic Edge a try, figuring that at $79 I had nothing to lose. I'm so satisfied, I've kept it and use it for my restorations.

Doug

Comment

For almost a year, I've been bypassing the soundcard and using a Roland/Edirol UA-30, which plugs into the USB port.

As a USB device, you don't have to open up the computer to set it up, just load the drivers and plug it in. You can also move it from machine to machine pretty easily.

It's more flexible and easy to use than any sound card I've seen: good ol' fashioned input level sliders and output level knob, LED peak indicators, separate line in and mic/instrument in (can be mixed), line out, phones (or powered speakers) out, digital optical in/out, and digital coax in/out.

Most important, the converters sound just fine to me (I mostly monitor w. Grado 'phones and sometimes also run a patch into a high end stereo for a reality check).

These have gone way down in price - under $200 - since Roland, like everyone else, came out with newer 24/96 stuff (just who needs this standard at home?). The only problem I've had is that for some reason I can't get any sound when playing back regular audio CDs in the computer.

Comment

I'm using a Hoontech DSP24 value edition card from Tracertek. It's good value for the money. Very pleased with the audio quality.

Comment

Working...
        X