virtual valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• virtual valve

Hi. I record in a home studio using the Roland VS digital recorders. I have been experimenting with the DC Enhanced software on my PC (version 3.0).

I am curious about the "virtual valve" applications. I know I won't get "trade secrets" of how this works, but I wonder basically how this effects the audio. Is there a compression involved, some sort of e.q.-ing, or is it too complicated to describe.

I have used amp simulators and microphone simulators on my gear and assume these "tube" sims are related. Is there anything more I can find out about their use?

Thanks!

-K
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 12-18-2019, 10:49 PM.

Re: virtual valve

Thanks Craig!

Comment

Re: virtual valve

The implementation details are trade secrets, and you can hear that the system does work well. However, I can tell you that the Virtual Valve Amplifier uses real tube transfer curves (as measured on the bench, not taken from the RCA tube manual.) You can pick and choose amongst a number of common tubes found in pre-amplifiers and power amplifiers. These are placed into various common amplifier configurations and produce the harmonics that would be produced by a real tube amplifier consisting of the same setup. The beauty of the VVA is that you have control over such things as Quiescent point and drive level, which you do not have on a typical hardware based tube amplifier. Enjoy!
      Last edited by Craig Maier; 01-19-2020, 03:59 PM.
      "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

One thing that I have come to learn is that only the Diamond Cut Productions uses real tube circuits and real tubes to create their effect. These effects are manifold. Read the section in the help file that describes the VVA.

Craig
        "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Working...
        X