Removing Distortion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Distortion

I recently picked up a vinyl record from 1973, and it sounds as though it has already been run through the DC-ART impulse noise filter with the tracking set to 30! Is there anyway to remove this kind of distortion? I am using DC-ART 3.11 on a P-133. My turntable is a "Scott- MODEL PS59", using a Shure Brothers N92E Stylus in a M92E cartridge. The record is a Motown issue from 1973. I use an "Akai AA-1135" amp to run my turntable in though my computer, which uses a 16-bit WinWave sound card from 1993. I know my sound card is old, and a piece of crap, but I can't really replace it right now. Anything I can do to fix this?

Also, I just picked up a really old 45rpm single from 1968, and it is really muffled. It is mono and recorded unusually loud. Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 04-08-2019, 04:52 PM.

Re: Removing Distortion

The first thing is to determine if the distortion is being created by the sound card recording process or if it is on the original. If it is on the original, then you might try the impulse filter on it selectivly. You can also try the de-esser, which can do a good job of removing localized distortion.

For the old 45rpm single, might benifit from the Virtual Valve amplifier.

Rick Carlson

Comment

Working...
    X