Input Gain....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Input Gain....

I recently update my soundcard from a VERY old one, and I now have a new problem.

I didn't notice how bad my old card's signal-to-noise ratio was before I used the new card. I now have a new problem though. No matter how I try, I can't get the input gain to be very loud. If I try to use the DC-ART gain increase methods, I get that same background junk I use to get with my old sound card. I'm begining to think that the way the signal-to-noise ratio was improved was simply done by decreasing the input levels.....

Is there anything that can be done about this? What's the best way to increase gain?
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 08-28-2019, 08:16 AM.

Re: Input Gain....

Let's run down some variables.

1) What is your input source? Is it a pre-amp? Are you feeding the output of your turntable directly into your sound card?

2) What kind of sound card did you buy? Is it expecting "pro" equipment level input signals?

3) What kind of noise are you getting? Is it hiss? Either the input device or your sound card can be generating it. How does the card sound when playing back CD's?

I also recently replaced my sound card with the SAS card from Tracer (tracertek.com). I'm very happy with it, but I had the same problem you did. My NAD pre-amp's output wasn't "hot" enough for the sound card. I could never get more than -10 to -15 db input into DC Millenium. The signal was clean, but as DC Art points out, recording low and using gain normalize to correct limits your dynamic range. I solved the problem by purchasing a small mixer (the Behringer Euro Rack MX602A) and inserting it between my pre-amp and sound card. This is an excellent mixer and can be had for $85-$100 on the web. If I had mega bucks and was restoring professionally, I'd opt for a more expensive solution, but for my purposes, this setup gives me great results.

You'll need to balance the input and output settings on the sound card, because it's possible to overdrive the input A/D converter and still have a low output signal.

Good luck, Doug

Comment

Re: Input Gain....

I just recently recieved a Soundblaster PCI 512 from somewhere, (I don't quite remember), and it was for free. I was wondering if anyone might know if this card would have a good input gain. If not, I am probably gonna sell it for funds for a better card, but if it has good gain, I wouldn't need to do so.

I use to have a ancient WinWave 16-bit (I think one of the first 16-bit sound cards on the market), which I upgraded from my old 8-bit Soundblaster Pro in 1993 I believe. It had a TERRIBLE signal to noise ratio, but it had a very good gain control. The only reason I upgraded was because I upgraded my motherboard, and it didn't have any ISA slots.... My current sound card is a Vortex AU8810 I believe (it was OEM, so I'm not completly sure...), and it has horrible gain control. Would the Soundblaster 512 give me better gain results? (I don't really believe that Creative Labs can make any kind of sound card then a gamer's card, but for free, who am I to complain...)

Thanks for any advice.

By the way, my turntable is a "Scott- MODEL PS59", using a Shure Brothers N92E Stylus in a M92E cartridge, (not exactly top of the line equitment, but it sounds pretty good, and has pitch control....) I use an "Akai AA-1135" amp to run my turntable in though my computer.

Comment

Working...
      X