Restoration of 78s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoration of 78s

You are correct in that you need to apply the proper curves to the 78's to get back some of the bass that was lost. I would try some of the 78 RPM Turnover curves to recover some bass. You may need to apply a Subsonic filter after that because you will be amplifying any turntable rumble that found its way onto the recording. The paragraphic EQ would be also a good place to start for the high end as well, then go on to the VVA to spark up the top end.

Rick Carlson
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 03-15-2019, 02:23 PM.

Restoration of 78s

I am interested in restoring 78s. (Vocals, Columbia, early 1950s). Some of these were recorded on to reel to reel tape (3 3/4 ips 1952 Webcor) by connecting a crystal cartridge directly to the line in jack of the tape recorder. The resultant sound is very "compressed" and "tinny". I assume this sound is because no equalization was applied to the cartridge output. What would be the best starting approach to get the maximum quality out of these recordings? The paragraphic equalizer has some 78 settings I am about to try. Would the Exciter help brighten the "top end". I also have some other 78s where I have the records and an RIAA preamp.Does any body have any experience, using the inverse RIAA with 78 turn over?

Comment

Working...
    X