Continuous Noise Filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Continuous Noise Filter

When I record one side of an LP, I use Impulse Noise filter (HQ pre-set 1,2,3 passes), to filter all tracks as one file, but when I come to use Continuous Noise Filter, I find each track needs individual attention. Is it OK to proceed to "Quantize for CD Audio" & "Chop file into Pieces" to have separate files for each track, that I can then use Continuous Noise Filter on individually?
    [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 07-10-2019, 03:29 PM.

Re: Continuous Noise Filter

Hi Noel -

Yes, it's fine to chop into pieces and then do different processing for each track, but if it's from the same vinyl, you'll want to be careful with eq changes, etc. for different tracks because they may end up with a slightly different sound. The final steps, at least what I do, is to gain normalize each track and then do the quantize for CD.

The last is mainly if you have continuous sound source, such as a classical recording or live tape, but it wouldn't hurt for individual tracks; I assume it could prevent a slight glitch using "tracks-at-once" burning.

Dan
    Dan McDonald

Comment

HI Noel,

Consider trying the following settings in your CNF.

1. Take a sample from the "lead-in" of the vinyl, and then raise the threshold up (2 clicks for DC-ART32 and Millennium, 6-8 clicks for FIVE/LIVE5).

2. Set the attack to 40 and release to 80.

3. Whilst in preview mode adjust the attenuation up from 0 until you hear a desireable result, the surface noise should begin to disappear from 20-40 on the attenuation. This should work fine for the "whole" LP.

Let me know your results, we use these settings all the time with great success.

Regards,

Comment

Hi Jason -

Don't you think that processing each track independently makes sense also? It seems to me that the records are typically noisier in some spots than others.

Dan
        Dan McDonald

Comment

Hi Dan & Jason:
          I had a 1960 stereo LP that I thought was in uniformly good condition and tried to process the whole thing with one set of conditions. On headphones and speakers (good equipment) all 12 tracks sounded the same from a noise/click standpoint. However, after the processing, side one and side two were significantly different, so I processed them separately, then to my surprise I found one track that defied successful processing for three weeks (and since I'm retired I devoted a lot of time to this): results got progressively worse. I even ran through all the software presets to no avail. I constructed many models of my own. I always ended up with added, or intensified, superfine, sharp clicks which CNF couldn't clean up without killing the fidelity. Finally I had to run a reverse RIAA, use my own 7-step declick program, manually cleanup, then re-introduce the RIAA curve then run CNF.
          In summary I guess you just have to try anything!!
          Malcolm

Comment

You might consider listening to, and, sampling CN in the spaces between songs,listening for the worse condition between tracks, rather than the "lead-in". Due to needle drop, fast spin, and track finding, sometimes the lead-in section will contain severe noise that will have a big effect on the recording, trying to remove stuff from the musical content, that shouldn't be touched. I know this is not recommended, but in rare occassions, I have found later on, there is still some noise remaining between tracks after running CN, mostly in the 100 - 500 Hz. I will resample and run CN again with good results. This will probably bring negative comments, but it works for me. When I finish my processing, if something just doesn't sound right, I will put the original recording in the "Source" display, and my last rendition in the "Destination" display, and preview between the "source" & "destination" to see if I have altered the musical content; if something just doesn't sound right, I delete the last "saved" file and go back to one of the intermediate "saved" files (picking the best one, prior to CN processing), and proceed again.

I wish I wasn't such a perfectionest....I even hear clicks in musical content of the same frequency that most people never notice. Good thing I'm on anti-depressants, or I probably would drive myself nuts.

Well back to my music....

Ringmaster

Comment

Working...
            X