Stubborn Clicks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stubborn Clicks

I've just finished remastering Abbey Road from a very poor quality LP, and found there were some really stubborn clicks which I couldn't find (nor could any of the default LP declickers). In desperation, I tried the AM Radio Static on the Impulse Filter which worked. I left the size at 29, but changed the tracking to 30. Only two tracks out of 16 had single distortions in them.

What would have been quite a useful in this case is an easy way to copy from the source and paste (overwrite) to *exactly* the same point on the cleaned track to remove the distortion.

Re: Stubborn Clicks

This is very easily done. First, run your Impulse filter, creating a destination file from the same. Close the Impulse filter and then open up the file conversions filter. Choose Stereo to Stereo as the conversion. Highlight the area in the destination file wherein you heard distortion. Zoom in on it. Then highlight the exact same area in the source file and run the filter on that area alone. Do this to any of the file you deem necessary. This technique is called selective filtering, most other filters can be operated in this manner as well.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Re: Stubborn Clicks

Thanks Craig, it worked like a charm. This is one of the most useful snippets I've heard. Being able to use selective filtering has just increased DCArt's worth a thousand-fold for me. I wonder why it's not mentioned anywhere?

Just a word of caution for those wanting to use it, make sure that the same area of the source *is* selected. If you zoom into an area in the destination, you see the same area in the source, but the same area is not necessarily selected.

Comment

Working...
      X