Just Starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Starting

I am eagerly awaiting delivery of Diamond Cut 32 v 4.0 any day now!.

I have a three-speed Dual CS 5000 Turntable with an Ortofon X1MC cartridge.

Normally I run Apple G4s, but I bought a Dell Dimension 8200 2.0GHz w/512MB RAM and a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card specifically to restore my record and tape collection -- so I have to learn PCs!

Can anyone advise me the correct protocol (not the wiring) to feed the audio in -- I suspect I need a pre-amp and equalization for 78s, 45s & LPs from 1952 - 61 (UK) and Lps from 1961- present (Canada & USA)
    Any "processing" tips for the novice will be sincerely appreciated: my platters, for the most part, are in very good condition and all well cared for.
    Malcolm
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 07-15-2019, 10:10 PM.

Re: Just Starting

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Malcolm:
    I am eagerly awaiting delivery of Diamond Cut 32 v 4.0 any day now!.

I have a three-speed Dual CS 5000 Turntable with an Ortofon X1MC cartridge.

Normally I run Apple G4s, but I bought a Dell Dimension 8200 2.0GHz w/512MB RAM and a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card specifically to restore my record and tape collection -- so I have to learn PCs!

Can anyone advise me the correct protocol (not the wiring) to feed the audio in -- I suspect I need a pre-amp and equalization for 78s, 45s & LPs from 1952 - 61 (UK) and Lps from 1961- present (Canada & USA)
    Any "processing" tips for the novice will be sincerely appreciated: my platters, for the most part, are in very good condition and all well cared for.
    Malcolm
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

MALCOLM - I have the same basic PC setup as you including the LUCASFILM THX speaker system. I would suggest a good preamp as the first step. I'm using one I built in 1977 from discrete components. I suggest that a minimum amount of processing and electronics to get the signal into the PC should be your goal. After that, follow the instrucions in the manual and look for the tips on the forum. This is a great program and if your discs are in good shape as you say, you will find it easy, and shall I say, a joy, to restore them with DCART 32. Remember to remove pops and clicks with the impulse filter before you do anything else. And, if you use the continuous noise filter, make certain you sample (per the instructions) the noise from your source.

I also find use of the virtual valve (with the "High End Preamp" and a 12AX7 tube selected) adds a touch that I prefer. Good luck and the only problem you will have is one of addiction to the whole process. I am now on CD #57 of about 500 I have to make from my collection. I hope I live long enough!!!

Comment

Working...
    X