What sound card do you all recommend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What sound card do you all recommend?

I am curious what sound cards you all are using to record to your computer. Currently, I have a Diamond Monster MX300 sound card and I find that when I record from records, I am unable to adjust the recording levels to get proper gain. Would a regular Sound Blaster card be better? Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks.

Re: What sound card do you all recommend?

I really would like to hear from users on what kinds of sound cards they are using.

Personally I have a AdB Digital 24bit card (Now obsolete, too bad) a SoundBlaster Live card, and a Digital Audio Labs Digital Only card. Only the Soundblaster Live card has a input gain control. Most of the higher level cards expect that you are connected to a mixer or other flexible input source. I would only do serious work with the AdB Card, or the Digitl Only card using my DAT deck's A/D converters.

Rick Carlson

Comment

I'm using an old Turtle Beach Tropez card. I haven't upgraded because it sounds very good and I'm bewildered by all the new card choices. I have a son who is getting a masters in computer music from Peabody Conservatory. He said the Tropez is one of the best cards he's heard, and they have tons of different cards in the labs at the conservatory. I'd like to hear about new cards that people are using successfully.

Comment

I am using a LynxONE from Lynx Studio. My main application is restoring/archiving LPS (and some tapes) to CD. You need to get away from standard soundblaster cards if you want high quality analog inputs. There are a lot out there - LynxONE, Waveterminal, Darla, Gadget Labs, lots more I just can't seem to think of right now!

Comment

If you are doing A/D conversion I would strongly recommend that the A/D converter be located outside the PC enclosure. The PC environment can be very noisy (electrically).

Though I can imagine a soundcard/layout that would work, I think the Layla, Darla approach (external A/D) is best.

Another solution is a standalone CDRW recorder. I currently use a Philips CDR950 and use a single Audio CDRW as a floppy to transfer LP recordings to the PC.

Comment

Working...
          X