Metallic Vocals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metallic Vocals

I edited a song in Dcart with remarkable dehissing and amplified the vocals so they are clear but the vocals seem to almost have a metallic sound when a higher pitch is made...is there any way I can fix that>
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 05-16-2019, 06:50 PM.

Re: Metallic Vocals

When you used the Continious Noise Filter, you had set the Attenuation control set to far upwards. You will need to go back and re-do that filtering process with a less aggressive application of that filter and that will fix the problem.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

I usually set attenuation for modern LPs at 20-30 and use 6-8 clicks above the noiseprint (DC5). I do notice that double-bass and cymbals in unison (swing music) have a moderately unnatural sound, but changing the above-noted values tends to bring in objectionable floor noise. I detect no significant modification of other of the orchestral instruments or vocals noted by Cibosiren at these settings.

I have a question of "best practice" regarding CNF. Is it better to use low attenuation settings and higher clicks above the noise print; or is it better to have higher attenuation settings and lower clicks above the noiseprint?

Comment

If you are hearing an interaction between the string bass and the cymbals when using the CNF, then you need to reduce the attack and decay times. That will fix it.

Comment

Thanks for the advice Craig. I usually use 40 and 80 for Attack and Delay. Can you use values, say 20 and 40 or even lower, successfully?
          m

Comment

I have used attack values as little as 10 successfully. It really depends on the musical material.

Comment

Thanks Craig, your advice regarding attack & delay proved extremely helpful, but would you care to respond to my question that followed re. "best practice" for CNF on 7/12/03 (posting #2794)?
              M

Comment

Malcolm,

Varying the click points above the threshold does almost the same thing as varying the attenuation. There is a difference however. The attack and release time constants slewing characteristics are affected by the threshold setting wherein the attenuation control is not. So, the real answer is - - - it depends. Some material will do better with a very low setting of the threshold and a higher click level above the threshold and other material may sound more natural with lower threshold settings and higher attenuation settings. I always use my own sense of hearing to make that determination by experimenting. That is one of the beauties of the software in that you can play infinitely with the controls while you are listening to the material until you get the sound that you desire. I wish that I could be more definitive than that, but I can not.

Comment

Malcom,

Did that clarify the situation for you? If not, please advise.

Comment

Working...
                  X