spectral subtraction adjustments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spectral subtraction adjustments?

I still am finding that the spectral subtraction mode of the continuous noise filter does the best job of removing the remaining hiss and crackle from my vinyl 45's, but was wondering if there was any way to make an adjustment to it. For example, I had cleaned up one of my records and found it still had a little bit of annoying hiss. I tried some of the other filters that are supposed to get rid of hiss but didn't get the result I wanted. So I went back and resampled a small part of the exit groove which had some of the hiss and reran the CNF in spectral subtraction but it didn't work, and I didn't hear anything when I listened to the "keep residue". (I know you don't recommend using the continuous noise filter more than once, but I do so very carefully and have good results). I decided to experiment a little more and tried the "typical 45 rpm record" preset and put it into the spectral subtraction mode. The result was much better, and quite a bit of hiss was heard when the "keep residue" was switched on, but it took a little too much off the recording because as the record faded out at the end, that annoying "hollow sound" was there. So my question is: Is there any way to back off the spectral subtraction so it removes less noise when used with a preset the way I did? The only adjustment I have found is the attenuation which I set at 67 since that is the point where the most noise is heard in the "keep residue" setting. Any number higher or lower than this and I begin to hear music. Thanks for any help or suggestions anyone can offer.

Kent

P.S. This got in the wrong discussion area. I meant to post it in the DC5 discussion area.
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 05-03-2019, 01:03 AM.

Re: spectral subtraction adjustments?

Attenuation, Attack, and Release are the only active controls when operating in spectral subtraction mode. It is very critical what section of noise that you use as the reference, however. Different sections of noise sampled will produce different results. Experimentation with the area sampled and its length is highly recommended.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Re: spectral subtraction adjustments?

Actually Attenuation is the only active control. Attack, Release and Smoothing do not function in Spectral subtraction mode. I should have disabled them.

Comment

Working...
      X