Cannot make a sensible recording in DCart32 v4.02

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot make a sensible recording in DCart32 v4.02

I have just bought DCart32 v4.02 bundled with an XPSound v1.1 preamp (equivalant to the AXS-111 but with a turntable ground connector instead of a grounding switch).

I am simply unable to make a sensible recording from my turntable. The turntable plays through the soundcard line-in just fine playing very nicely on my speakers, but the DCart recording is highly distorted and compressed i.e fast. The side of the LP I am using is 23 minutes long, but the saved wave file is only 18 minutes long - despite being complete.

Sometime the wave file starts out all right and then becomes distorted/sped up/compressed a minute or so into the recording. I am explicitly selecting Stereo/44.1 kHz mode.

I am definitely using the phono preamp, the line-in of the sound card and the "Record Control" properties with the line-in gain of Windows. The "Record File" peak meter of DCart looks fine...

This is really weird and I am starting to go nuts! Any ideas?

My computer setup is as follows: AMD Athlon 1.4GHz, SBLive!5.1, 512Mb RAM, Win XP Pro, Boston BA7500G (5.1 digital) speakers, XPSound preamp, 2xSeagate 40Mb Barracuda IV HDD in RAID1 etc.
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 05-16-2019, 06:55 PM.

Re: Cannot make a sensible recording in DCart32 v4.02

Hi,

The fact that the speed is incorrect on your recording is the key here. It means that your sound card driver likely has a bug in it. Please go to the sound card companies home page and download the latest soundcard driver for your specific card (or chipset). This most likely will fix your recording problem. The only other possibility is that you are attempting to record at a bit depth (resolution) or sampling rate that your card is incapable of dealing with. To see if that is the case, be sure that the Diamond Cut Recorder is set to Stereo, 44.1 KHz and 16 bits. All sound cards should be able to work with that combination unless there is a bug in the driver.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Re: Cannot make a sensible recording in DCart32 v4.02

Thanks Craig,

Overnight I had come to much the same conclusion. Despite the fact I upgraded the SBLive! drivers only a fortnight ago to fix the dreaded "SBLive/WinXP" stutter problem (which worked), it appears that Creative has another set of drivers for other bug fixes.

And yes it is now recording correctly. That's the fourth set of SBLive! drivers I have installed since moving to WinXP...

Now to grasp the intracacies of filtering [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks for your prompt reply and advice.

Ron Lees

Comment

Working...
      X