Sound Card Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound Card Recommendations?

Hi. I've been using DCart32 for about 2 years, with fairly good results, on a PC with a Sound Blaster card. I'd appreciate recommendations of a higher quality card at a reasonable price. The Hoontech I-Phone Digital XG card mentioned on the DC website appears to be no longer available at the recommended source. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks!
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 04-17-2019, 10:42 AM.

Re: Sound Card Recommendations?

Ken,

I'm in the same boat. I'm about to upgrade. Here's the two cards I'm considering:

M-Audio's Revolution 7.1 ~$99. It's getting consistantly great reviews and is true 24/96, unlike the Audigy cards. The only potential downside is there is no digital in, but M-Audio sells more expensive cards with this feature.
    See http://www.tech-report.com/reviews/2...v/index.x?pg=1

Terratec DMX 6Fire ~$220
    This is a pricey card, but it has some compelling features for me. It is considered the best sounding of the "consumer grade" cards, you'll have to go to even pricier pro grade cards for better specs, if not sound. The big attraction for me is the built in phono pre-amp. The RIAA curve is applied in software and can be toggled off. This will allow me to record my 78's flat, then apply the appropriate EQ with DC-Art. The phono inputs are on a 5 1/4" drivebay insert, so you'll need an empty bay.

See http://www.tech-report.com/reviews/2...s/index.x?pg=8

Good luck on your search. Let us know what you decide on and how you like it.

Doug

Comment

When I started this project of mine I read all I could about the type of equipment I needed. My final choice for a sound card was the CardDelux by Digital Audio. I have been using it now for three years and I have absolutly no complaints. It has both digital and analog in and out.
      http://www.digitalaudio.com/digitala...amp;PubID=4401

Comment

At the risk of a bit of self promotion, we'd suggest folks interested in soundcards look at the Tracer site at www.tracertek.com.

The most popular card today is the ESI Waveterminal 192L. It will record up to 96khz and playback files up to 192Khz. There is a version (the 192X) that will record and play up to 192khz. This card has amazing audio specs with a super low noise floor and is also super linear. The chipset on this is a DVD chipset which is starting to be used on much more expensive cards. The 192L is $159 and has 6 outputs. It has optical digital out, but a daughtercard ($49) you get both coax and optical in and out.

Comment

I have the 192L and have been very happy with it. I originally had it in a computer with an ATI all-in-wonder graphics card, and the ATI was incompatible with the 192L so I put an older soundblaster in for the ATI to use; I still had a number of instability issues, all of which seemed to be traceable to the ATI not liking the waveterminal. Eventually, I moved it so that the ATI is in one computer and the Waveterminal is in a different computer, which I use for audio recording only, and it's a great card. But if you have only one computer available and you have the ATI already, I would be cautious about it - I called ATI tech support when I installed it and they said that the ATI just couldn't handle that sophisticated a soundcard. It's not a problem for me to use different computers. Last count I had 8 computers in the house... argh..

Dan
          Dan McDonald

Comment

I bought a STA Media 7.1 from Tracers . . . it is serving Me very Well....infact, it was through Tracer that I learned about DC live...Wow.... talk about making recording easier...the soundcard has a breakout box with a built in preamp for my turntable plus the software ( DC 5/Live } is everything and more to me ... Sincerly, Stephen

Comment

Sound Card Recommndations

I am a new user who is planning on archiving my LP collection. My PC currently has a Creative Audigy 2 Value. Any thoughts??
              Thx
              Phil

Comment

Phil,

Congratulations!

You are the 500th member of the Diamond Cut BBS. We have been running a little contest with a prize for the 500th member. You have won a free copy of our CD entitled "Jazz, its a wonderful sound." So that we can ship your prize, please send me your mailing address to the following:

dctools@aol.com

Thanks,

Craig
                "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

I recently purchased the degi02 and for some reason the computer reboots when I try to open pro-xxxx. Can anybody help?
                  Last edited by Craig Maier; 05-13-2005, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CurtBoogie
                    I recently purchased the degi02 and for some reason the computer reboots when I try to open pro-tools. Can anybody help?
                    xxx Tools on the PC is full of Bugs...

When I do multi tracking stuff for any production I may be doing (I work in radio), I use xxxxxxxx since I can't stand using macs, and since the PC version of xxx Tools is unstable.
                    Last edited by Craig Maier; 05-13-2005, 09:03 PM.

Comment

As far as sound cards go, I just bought an Echo Mia Professional.

I'm building a studio, and I needed the balanced audio inputs and outputs.

For the price, there isn't a better pro-sound card out there.

Until I get the studio finished, I'll just use a matchbox to get the balanced audio to work with my non-balanced stuff.

Keep in mind that this isn't a sound card for gamers. It's better to stick with the Sound Blaster stuff if that's what you are looking for. This is a sound card for people serious about recording and playback.

Comment

Working...
                      X