No announcement yet.

Craig's Record Cleaning Concoction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that those are shellac discs? If so, I do not think that the concoction is appropriate for shellac discs because shellac was an alcohol based material and the concotion includes some agents (anti-freeze glycols and isopropyl alcohol) that are also alcohol based. So, (although I never tested it on shellac discs) I would be concerned that it could attack the record chemically. But, I really do not know. Perhaps take one record that is in bad shape and was cheap and very dirty and give it a try and see what happens.

Craig
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

OK - I might just go ahead and use the labtone cleaner I was using before you invented the CCC I've used it on cylinders with no harmful effects.

"Composed of carbonates, phosphates, and organic detergent in balanced proportions. Binds calcium and magnesium hardness in solution, practically eliminating scrubbing and scraping. Removes dirt, grease, media, and soil of any kind from utensils and surfaces usually washed by hand. Requires no towel-wiping. Leaves no sludge, scum, streaks, or film. "
      Dan McDonald

Comment

Are you saying that you have used CCC or labtone cleaner on cylinders? That would be great to know. I have around 50 cylinders here (mixture of 2 minute black wax and 4 minute blue amberols). Did you try one or both of those cleaners on either or both those types of cylinders?

Craig

Comment

hi Craig -

I used labtone on cylinders. I was kind of careful with it, but just took a damp rag (dampened with the solution) and rubbed them gently. Mostly Blue Amberols, but some of the really old ones (black wax). It didn't hurt them and seemed to clean them up quite a bit. I didn't try the CCC.
          Dan McDonald

Comment

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the information. I have several black wax cylinders with mold. I know how to kill the mold (putting them in low humidity for about 6 weeks via dessicant), but not how to remove the dead mold residue without damaging the cylinder. I will try labtone.

Craig

Comment

OK - if you need some, they sent me a big jug of it for free!
              Dan McDonald

Comment

For the 4 minute Blue Cylinders, I have used a damp cloth. They are pretty tuff and will last longer than most of us !

The black 2 minute with mold are pretty much gone. The mold "eats" into the grooves and can remove a lot of the music.
                Sometimes they "clean up" some after being played.

Marc

Comment

I see what you mean by the effect on the grooves. They do look odd, but maybe there is still something there.

Craig

Comment

Yes, you can still get to the music. Some of the black wax (2-minute) ones I had were bought at a farm auction by my dad in the 1960s, then he moved to FL and kept them in a storage shed for about 30 years. I still was able to get the music off them. with a modern phono head.
                    Dan McDonald

Comment

Thanks - that is good to know.

Craig

Comment

Looks like minor problems with the motor on the Standard. I will get on that. The records arrived today. One was a duplicate so I tried it out and it works well... very noisey phonograph though!
                        Dan McDonald

Comment

Dan,

What type of noise ?

Marc

Comment

just record noise. I haven't cleaned it yet. But a lot of noise coming from the needle (steel needle) and the horn doesn't amplify it as much as my cylinder horn did.
                            Dan McDonald

Comment

Dan,

Maybe this is common knowledge, but a steel needle is only good for one play - - - otherwise, noisy and/or distorted play can occur and also damage to the record.

Craig

Comment

Craig is correct....

The "concept" was that within two revolutions of the record, the soft steel needle would conform to the grooves for the record being played. Thus, another needle for the next record.

A bad idea ! Compare to the Edison Method with a diamond.

Marc

Comment

Working...
                                X