Advantage to the use of gold (Au) plated audio connectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advantage to the use of gold (Au) plated audio connectors

We have all seen gold (Au) plated audio connectors in various configurations ranging from RCA type, 1/4 inch and 1/8 inch TRS (TIP Ring Sleeve). The advantage of these connection materials in audio interconnection systems is reduced corrosion at the junctions between the gold plated surfaces. Non-gold plated low-level connections tend to corrode (a chemical galvanic reaction) over time and become noisy. Generally, it is worth the extra expense to use gold plated connections between low-level (line level on down to phono level) interconnections. Also, because of the conductivity of gold, ground loop noise injection may be reduced by using gold interconnections.
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 02-24-2024, 05:32 PM.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

While useful, the typical gold plating will not stand too many insertions. Sometimes the Gold is very thin and called a "flash".

They do look nice though.

Marc

Comment

I agree - - - the insertion life is quite limited for most commercial audio connectors. Most of them are only gold plated. MIL Spec connectors are much more reliable / robust in terms of insertion life.
      Last edited by Craig Maier; 02-24-2024, 07:39 PM.

Comment

If you are making a fixed - permanent setup, it may be worth it to use the gold plated connectors since the insertions will only happen once in the setups lifetime and corrosion will not become an issue.

Comment

Working...
        X