How do you use the Impulse Filter HQ Mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you use the Impulse Filter HQ Mode

I don't understand how to use the Impulse Filter HQ Mode. The regular mode comes with a set of built "profiles" and their parameters. But there isn't any information on using HQ mode so far as I can see either in the program or on-line.

Yet I've heard you say its better than the regular mode. So how about a set of starting parameters. I need this because (1) I'm fairly dumb about audio things and (2) I have to use speech recognition to control things and I can't play around as much as others might.

Seems to me you need to support a feature properly if you include in a program.

Re: How do you use the Impulse Filter HQ Mode

To use HQ mode, place the threshold control to its minimum position. Check the HQ mode box. Place the size control at around 15 for starters (the first pass through in order to get the larger clicks). Move the tracking control to its highest position. Run preview mode. Slowly, move the tracking control downward until the larger clicks start to get removed. Keep lowering it until you hear distortion on the high end of the audio. Raise it a bit until the distortion is not present. Next, run the filter. Now, there will probably be some small ticks left. Move the size control to about 6 or 7. Keep the threshold control at minimum. Raise the Tracking control to its maximum value again. Run preview. Slowly lower the tracking control again until you hear the small ticks being removed. Keep lowering until you hear distortion. Next raise the control a bit until the distortion disappears. Run the filter. You can re-run this filter as many times as you would like and it will get a few more clicks each time, even with the same settings. Many people set up multiple versions of the impulse filter in the Multifilter to accomplish this end. I hope that this has been of some help.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Re: How do you use the Impulse Filter HQ Mode

Bingo! Thanks so much -- now I've got both a starting point and a general strategy.

Comment

Working...
      X