Stanton 500 Phono Cartridge "Flatener"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stanton 500 Phono Cartridge "Flatener"

Here is a Multifilter Preset which can be used with a Stanton 500 cartridge in conjunction with a "Flat" phono preamplifier transfer. This preset will not only convert a flat transfer using a Stanton 500 to RIAA, but will also compensate for deficiencies in the flatness of response of the Stanton 500. This was accomplished through the use of a test record made by "Hi-Fi News" in conjunction with the Diamond Cut Spectrum Analyzer. They call the test record product "Analogue Test LP" (a novel name). Hi-Fi News is an English audio publication.

So, re-iterating, if you have a flat phono preamplifier and a Stanton 500 phono cartridge, this will convert the response to a more perfect RIAA curve since the response of the phono cartridge is also accounted for with this preset.

The Stanton 500 was chosen for compensation because it is very popular, commonly available, relatively low in cost, and can be outfitted with LP and 78 stylii.

Enjoy

Note: To assure the best performance with your Stanton 500 or any other phono cartridge, it is important to set it up correctly. The cartridge must be aligned properly in the headshell via the use of a special protractor. The turntable should also be level and the anti-skating set for a neutral balance on an ungrooved rotating surface. In other words, the phono arm and cartridge should remain wherever placed on an ungrooved surface provided that the anti-skating is properly set. Also, note that under-weight tracking can be just as damaging to a record and stylus as an over tracked (too heavy) unit.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 08-02-2019, 10:19 AM.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Hey Craig,
    Does this also apply to 78s played with the Stanton and is the preset speed dependent?
    At work I may look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm actually quite busy

Comment

Hey Craig,
      Does the 20band graphic eq also apply to 78s played with a stanton and is it speed dependent?
      At work I may look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm actually quite busy

Comment

Howdy from Australia! - thanks again Craig & Rick

Comment

Glad to see that the system is up and running again.

Comment

Stanton 500 Multifilter Preset

I have Stanton equipment but not a flat pre-amp & have been using Craig's preset of late on RIAA Reverse Phono Equalization files with success. I've only had to reduce the bass a bit, but the rest of the spectrum is balanced & sounds great.
            "You earthlings are all fools, fools, fools, do you hear me ..." Plan 9 From Outer Space

Comment

To answer Dougs question, it only applies to an RIAA transfer. If you want to reverse the RIAA later, then it is fine to use on 78's. It is not appropriate for fractional speed mastering or high speed dubbing. In other words, it is only intended to be used for a records specified speed so a 33.33 played at 33.33 or a 45 played at 45 or a 78 played at 78.

Sorry it took so long to answer the question. I did not even realize that there was a question here until July of 2006! Better late than never. I think that the system had gone down and our attention was distracted so the question did not get answered in a timely manner.

Comment

Working...
              X