Starting Point for the 78RPM record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting Point for the 78RPM record

Just for interest, I have attached how I start treating a 78 from point one, BEFORE attempting the CNF. I tailor the EZ impulse filter to each particular record/situation. Don't forget to reverse the file between runs. Then I use a more aggressive setting on sections of the recording that can handle it. Once this general click removal is done, in Forensics, I use the Spectrogram and go through the entire track manually and selectively interpolating or running a heavy EZ Impulse filter to remove remaining clicks. I end up with almost NO impulse noise. Then remove any thumps and make cuts/pastes on missing sections.

So:
    1. Run an impulse filter (either expert on EZ Impulse) on the raw file, with no EQ applied, reverse, do same and reverse again. The preset for 78s is a good starting point and tends to work well

2. Manually hunt down the remainder impulse noise as best as possible. Firstly using larger selections and heavier selective impulse filtering while in the waveform view, then more specific sections using the spectrogram. The INF can also help to remove some distortions when viewing the spectrogram. Aim to only have surface noise and his remaining, no impulse noise.

3. Runt the filters below with appropriate Average/median sample sizes and filter frequency points (I've given what I use most often). It should be a great start to the CNF and sound quite good.

4. Follow the 78 restoration Q thread for my CNF thoughts.

http://www.diamondcut.com/vforum/sho...9&page=1&pp=10
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 07-30-2019, 10:49 AM.
    At work I may look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm actually quite busy

Lazy 78 RPM Restorations!

If Your record ain't too bad to start off with, try the following multi filter. Adjust the attack, release and attenuation controls of the auto CNF as required, and I think you'll be suppried by the results!

Also, note that with the Averaging filter, sometimes an additional 14kHz 18-24db/Octave low pass filter is required BEFORE the CNF to remove some of the funny high frequency noise/artifact that appears after using the averaging filter. I haven't added this additional low pass/band stop here but you may need it.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Doug; 12-16-2005, 12:39 AM.
    At work I may look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm actually quite busy

Comment

Working...
    X