De-Clapper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• De-Clapper

This is the fixed one. Sorry for any confusion.

Not to get confused with the de-clipper, but I didn't know what else to call it. There's a thread above that talks about this in general audio.

The de-clapper just takes care of a situation in a live recording where someone close to the microphone claps relatively loudly and that comes out above the crowd applause. This worked extremely well for an audience recording made on cassette tape in 1978. The music was amplified solo acoustic jazz guitar at an outdoor concet. It didn't affect the music.

Instructions: run the multi-filter (three impulse filters), reverse the file, run it again.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 07-31-2019, 10:44 AM.
    Dan McDonald

Just a note on this preset -

It seemed to work very well on a cassette recording, where one or two people were much closer to the microphone than anyone else and it was an amplified acoustic jazz guitar concert.

I just tried it with a digital recording where the mic was in the middle of the audience (a classical music performance) and it did not do well at all in that situation. Because people formed a kind of normal distribution, it wasn't really needed anyway, but I just thought I'd see what it did. In that situation, it really distorted the music. Using just one impulse filter (the third one in this preset), adjusted with a slightly higher threshold level, did fine, but only removed a few claps. Then again, that's really all that needed to be done.

Dan
    Dan McDonald

Comment

Working...
    X