M97eX Cartridge Paragraphic Preset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M97eX Cartridge Paragraphic Preset

This preset was derived using a Stanton ST150 turntable, using the factory line cables running into a set of CTP1000B (Balanced) preamps terminating into a balanced Juli@ card and the DC7 VPA "flat preamp to RIAA" preset. The HiFi News Analogue Test LP , band 3 pink noise, was the noise source. This output curve was placed into a filter modeling program to determine the corrective parameters needed for the paragraphic filter, to obtain a linear curve for the phono input chain. This curve also assumes that the noise on the test record is flat. Your phono arm and associated equipment chain "cable loading" may display marginal deviation errors, but it should be extremly close. See if you like it.
    Note: You may wish to do some low pass filtering before finalizing your material, because of some filter boosting above 20kHz.

Glenn P.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 04-01-2019, 10:05 AM.

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for the preset. Nice job. I just wanted to point out that a good way to set this up is in the DC7 Multifilter with the VPA and the Paragraphic EQ in the chain (order does not matter). That way, the compensation can be accomplished in one step. It is also worth noting that this in only compabable with the DC7 program and above, since DC5 and DC6 do not include a VPA (Virtual Phono Pre-Amplifier).

keywords: Shure M97eX Phono Cartridge Compensation
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 10-21-2011, 08:52 AM.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Thanks, Craig;

You are correct sir. Use this in the multi filter, chained with the VPA, as you noted. My omission.

Glenn P.

Comment

Hi Glenn and Craig
        I have been using this preset for many years. My main cart for LPs is the M97ex. Gives my recordings that little bit extra that I really like.
        I have an empire 2000 cart and others that I would like to have an accurate parabolic preset for recording.
        What methodology would you suggest for developing a similar preset for each of them?
        I have been using the spectrum analyzer to compare the output of different presets and tweaking the settings to try to get the waveform displays as close as possible.
        Am I on the right track?
        D
        Dub: to mix (recorded sound or videotape from different sources) into a single recording

Comment

I think you are on the right track. As I recall I used a test record made by Hi Fi News in conjunction with the Diamond Cut Equalizer(s) and its spectrum analyzer to obtain the most accurate result. Without that record, it would have been very hard to do.

Craig
          "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Thanks Graig
            I'll dig out my Test Record and have a go at it.
            D
            Dub: to mix (recorded sound or videotape from different sources) into a single recording

Comment

Working...
            X