Presets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Presets

HI I am new at this game and have several Scottish Country Dance wave files to clean up. They were captured using a tube phono preamp so I guess they are a flat recording. I am having trouble with the blend of Accordians, fiddles,bagpipes,drums and piano's. Are there any presets that I can use as a begining to give a natural sound.
    Alan
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 07-31-2019, 03:01 PM.

Are these on 78 rpm records or off LPs?
    2ndly, are you sure your valve phono preamp has a Flat EQ?
    At work I may look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm actually quite busy

Comment

Presets

Hi Doug,
      I am capturing through a Bellari VP129 Tube Phono Preamp & am capuring from both LP's & 78's.
      I think it captures as a Flat EQ but not sure.
      Alan

Comment

No problem Alan,
        From a brief look on the net, that Bellari VP129 Phono Preamp applies RIAA equalization. As such, you don't need to do any additional equalization for LP records.

However, regarding the 78s, you will have to use the virtual phono preamp (VPA) under the "Filter" menu. Set up the virtual phono preamp as follows using the American or European setting, and then run it over your 78s to equalise them correctly:

Let us know how you go.
        At work I may look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm actually quite busy

Comment

Virtual Phono Preamp EQ Curves

What's the syntax of the VPA presets?
          What's the meaning of the numbers in the .pst files?

How can I make a preset for early European LPs (CCIR/DIN) with 3180-318-50 µs?

Jos
          Jos Van Dyck

Comment

Hi,

The syntax for the presets in the software are not documented formally for public useage. If you want to approximate the curve that you described, the only difference is the Rolloff value of 50 uSec vs the RIAA value of 75 uSec. As a guess, I would use the RIAA curve in the VPA and then push up the Treble control by 4 dB - - - not perfect, but close.

Craig
            Last edited by Craig Maier; 02-28-2010, 02:04 PM.
            "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Hi Again,

I just did some research on the European CCIR / DIN EQ curve. It does not seem to be a phonographic EQ Curve. It seems to be a magnetic Tape EQ curve, somewhat similar to the American NAB curve with some modifications.

If I am wrong on this, can you point me to a link that shows me this to be a phonographic curve?

Thanks,

Craig
              "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Working...
              X