FM static

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FM static

I have DC7 but have just started learning it. I have a lot of static on some jazz music I recorded from an FM station. Occasionally, there is also a quiet tone like a steamboat whistle. I have been trying for a week now to clean this tape up. At one point I had 7 filters working. Now I am focusing on the Continuous Noise and Dynamic Noise filters, but I can't get rid of the static without making the music unintelligible. Is there a way?

Hi,

I would need to hear a sample of the file in .wav format to make the determination. Please send a 5 to 10 second sample to me at:

dctools@aol.com

Thanks,

Craig
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Is it a stereo FM recording?
      If so, most of the noise is probably in the S-channel (L-R), so it will be cancelled when playing back in mono.

Cheers,
      Jos
      Jos Van Dyck

Comment

Hi,

If the noise is "Multiplex Multipath" noise, you can find presets in the Channel Blender that address this kind of noise without converting the file to mono. They maintain much of the stereo image while attenuating FM Multiplex Multiplex noise. Check it out.

Craig
        Last edited by Craig Maier; 06-21-2011, 09:52 PM.

Comment

I just wanted to thank you guys for your help. I won't be able to try anything until this weekend, but I will let you know how things worked.
          Yes, the file is FM stereo --originally recorded on a tape cassette. I rerecorded it as a .wav file -- first on xxxxxx and then again on DC7 because of all the noise. While the broadcast was stereo, it isn't true stereo because the records were from the Swing Era.
          Last edited by Craig Maier; 06-21-2011, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Hi,

If the records were from the swing era (mono - 78s) then just convert them to mono and that will probably do the trick. To do so, use the File Converter (from Stereo to Mono, L+R).

If that does not do the trick, then send a sample to me and I will check it out.

Craig

Comment

Hi folks,

Ultimately, this turned out to be an FM fringing effect. When the signal is real low to an FM receiver, the limiter stops limiting. When that happens, Amplitude variations in the signal will get through and that is what this file sounded like. The fringing noise was on both channels and so mixing to mono did not fix it.

But, the use of the CNF in Auto Spectrum Mode did a lot to fix this file up. Attack was set to 100, Release to 200 and the Attenuation was set for 40.

Craig

Comment

I just want to thank Craig for all the time he spent and help he gave me. I was sifting through the manual, but there seemed to be so many options I was getting overwhelmed. He really taught me a lot. Thanks again Craig.

Comment

Hi,

Glad to learn that the suggestions helped out - - -

Craig

Comment

Working...
                  X