No announcement yet.

Writing to CD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Then, I wonder if it may be limited to certain models, series or runs of Sony burners. Could it be a very early design Sony burner?
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Mine is a Phillips. I had no problems at all with the drive until just recently. It's a fairly new computer (bought in December). I have Roxio, Mentor and just downloaded a freeware program called Windows XP Burner Pro, to see if that mattered. All of them are unable to write anything. I thought maybe it was Windows Media Player because of Eric's problem and because I upgraded WMP recently. I went to my wife's computer, which has Roxio, but she hasn't upgraded WMP, and it burned fine.

argh!
      Dan McDonald

Comment

If you go into device manager, in therory there should be an exclamation point after the CD/DVD burner, if Windows doesn't recognize it. In rare cases, the drivers that come with the burners do not operate as well as the ones that Windows automatically assigns during PnP.

When a device doesn't work properly I always first see if the generic drivers that Windows assigns at least allows it to operate. If it does, even if all features aren't fully operational, it tells you that a driver fix is needed from the manufacturer.

I have heard of some compatibility issues with WMP 11 and some systems. In these cases, if you roll it back to ver. 10, it should solve the issue.

GB

Comment

Yes - I first checked the device manager, but it says everything is fine.

I just got off the chat with Dell and they're sending a new burner for it. They seemed to think the drive is bad, so maybe it's not a software problem at all.

It should get here Friday, so I'll know then.

It's a DVD/CD burner. It recognizes a blank CD, but when you put in a commercial CD or DVD it just sits. When you click on it in "my computer," it says to insert a CD or DVD, even when the commercial one is already there. If you put a blank one in, it acts like everything is fine, but then it just gives an error if you try to burn it.

Dan
          Last edited by Dan McDonald; 05-30-2007, 05:48 PM.
          Dan McDonald

Comment

Originally posted by Dan McDonald
            Yes - I first checked the device manager, but it says everything is fine.

I just got off the chat with Dell and they're sending a new burner for it. They seemed to think the drive is bad, so maybe it's not a software problem at all.

It should get here Friday, so I'll know then.

It's a DVD/CD burner. It recognizes a blank CD, but when you put in a commercial CD or DVD it just sits. When you click on it in "my computer," it says to insert a CD or DVD, even when the commercial one is already there. If you put a blank one in, it acts like everything is fine, but then it just gives an error if you try to burn it.

Dan
            Yeah... Sounds like you have a defective burner. What's the old saying?.... "They don't make stuff like they used to"

GB

Comment

Well, that's reassuring anyway. 10 minutes on the chat line to Dell, and it's supposed to be here by Friday.

I'll just have to burn cylinders until then.

Dan
              Last edited by Dan McDonald; 05-30-2007, 06:50 PM.
              Dan McDonald

Comment

Just confirming it was a hardware problem. The new DVD/CD writer works fine.

Dan
                Dan McDonald

Comment

Glad to hear that.

Quoting Dan:

"I'll just have to burn cylinders until then."

-------------------

I wonder if one could do that? Instead of cutting wax masters, I wonder if one could burn the wax instead - - - orient two lasers at +/- 45 degrees for stereo. This is of no practical value, just a curiosity ~
                  Last edited by Craig Maier; 06-01-2007, 07:02 PM.
                  "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Here's my next question:

I can't write to CD using Mentor, because of the problem with WMP not recognizing my CD/DVD burner. However, until a fix from microsoft is available, I'd still like to use Mentor to record and clean files, and use Nero to burn the files to disc. So, How do get the LP I recorded, divided and cleaned into Bin3_Ready_For_CD as individual song files so I can burn them with Nero?

Thanks, Eric

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Hubbard
                      Here's my next question:

I can't write to CD using Mentor, because of the problem with WMP not recognizing my CD/DVD burner. However, until a fix from microsoft is available, I'd still like to use Mentor to record and clean files, and use Nero to burn the files to disc. So, How do get the LP I recorded, divided and cleaned into Bin3_Ready_For_CD as individual song files so I can burn them with Nero?

Thanks, Eric
                      I do that all of the time with DC Audio Mentor; not because of any problem, but because it allows me to apply the settings individually for each track. I just treat each track as a seperate recording session. Don't record the entire side as you normally would, but the individual tracks. I've been doing it that way for so long now, that it really doesn't take me much longer to record a disk that way.

It also provides the benefit to allow for storage of one LP side per side (for archival purposes) onto a CD, since I do all my recording at 24/96.

All of this may sound a touch fussy, but when I bother to do a restoration, I want to do it right from the ground up.....Since about the only restorations I do anymore are from out of print material, so a quality restoration is critical.

Hope this helps...

GB

Comment

Here's my next question:

Thanks, Eric
                        Eric:
                        Don't hold your breath in getting a solution from M$oft; mainly because I personally don't think it's their problem. I say this because you don't need Media Player to operate a seperate burning software program. I would tend to agree IF you were using Media Player to burn a CD, but you are not.

As an old PC tech, I always have laying around parts, to help diagnose problems. I'm sure you could, without too much difficulty, find a pretty cheap CD-R drive and slap into the machine to help diagnose this problem.

I tend to work with 1 problem at a time; meaning during your diagnosis phase, remove all software burning software except for 1. I would recommend removing everything that has burning capability except for DC Audio Mentor and try a different diagnostic drive. If that works, then you can go step by step, re-installing the other programs, until they all work or until something goes wrong.

Good Luck.

GB

Comment

Originally posted by Geebster
                          ...you don't need Media Player to operate a separate burning software program. I would tend to agree IF you were using Media Player to burn a CD, but you are not.
                          GB
                          If I understand you correctly, does this imply that Mentor has its own burning software? One of the earlier posts seemed to indicate that it used the WMP engine.
                          I tend to work with 1 problem at a time; meaning during your diagnosis phase, remove all software burning software except for 1. I would recommend removing everything that has burning capability except for DC Audio Mentor and try a different diagnostic drive. If that works, then you can go step by step, re-installing the other programs, until they all work or until something goes wrong.
                          GB
                          It seems like everything has its own burning software. On this computer, I have WMP, Mentor, Nero, Itunes, Realplayer, and I think that XP even has its own burning software based on something called Roxio. So, not to repeat the obvious, but I think what you are saying is remove all these, and whatever other burning software I can find, install a different CD burner and use the process of elimination, is that correct?

Thanks, Eric

Comment

If I understand you correctly, does this imply that Mentor has its own burning software? One of the earlier posts seemed to indicate that it used the WMP engine.

It seems like everything has its own burning software. On this computer, I have WMP, Mentor, Nero, Itunes, Realplayer, and I think that XP even has its own burning software based on something called Roxio. So, not to repeat the obvious, but I think what you are saying is remove all these, and whatever other burning software I can find, install a different CD burner and use the process of elimination, is that correct?

Thanks, Eric
                            Yes. I don't want to speak on behalf of Craig or Rick, but that was one of the benefits of DC Audio Mentor, that you didn't need any other programs to perform restorations. Basically, from recording the audio file, cleaning/enhancing and recording the CD can be done within Mentor without any need of other programs, other than the Operating System of course.

Yeah; that's how I would approach the problem. Get rid of everything that you know of that has a burning routine (don't worry about XP itself) and just leave DC Audio Mentor in place. Put in a diagnostic drive (even cheapie CD-R only drive will suffice) and see if the problem still persists. If everything works Ok at that point, you can try to install the other programs, one by one to see if everything continues to work.

Ideally, you should select a CD-R drive that is "known good", that works or has worked properly before this diagnostic work.

Again, good luck..

GB

Comment

Working...
                            X