No announcement yet.

Voice identification and comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have around 500 - - - probably would be willing to sell some of the Victor Electrics.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

I was thinking about the retirement area...

Marc

Comment

Ahhh, I see. Sorry.

Craig

Comment

Haha. I don't know about old records there. I still have a large group I need to transfer. My guess is that there would be some in the farms near that area, with estate sales, etc. I have a stack of "Standard" records (which were, of course, not standard), with the 1/2" hole in the center. I have a Standard player (er...Standard company player) to play them back, but I think I'll be transferring them with a 1/2" plug and my regular turntable.
          Dan McDonald

Comment

Hi,

I have some 'Standard" branded acoustical lateral cut 78s here. They transfer fine after you center them on a regular turntable (the Standard Record hole is larger than the pin of a regular turntable - so I just adjust the record until it plays concentrically). The ones that I have transferred nicely. As for records in Lewis, I do recall a large antique barn with multiple consignment spaces and just about everything that you can think of in terms of antiques. So, I am sure there will be no shortage of record related items there.

Craig

Comment

Hi Craig -
              I thought it would be pretty easy to cut a circle out of a board, so that it would be easy to center. Most of the 'circle' bits (hole saws) have a guide bit in the center, so that gives a pilot for the regular spindle after the Standard adapter was cut out. That was what I was thinking, anyway.
              Dan McDonald

Comment

Hi Dan,

That is much better than my approach to that problem. I remember that sometimes it would take me10 minutes to find the 'sweet - spot' where the record would play concentrically. Your solution does solve that problem (unless you find a record that was pressed non-concentrically). I have witnessed some records that are non-concentric and you must remove the pin. When I see that I just go aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggggggggg gg. I hate that.

Craig

Comment

For 78s that are pressed non-concentrically, I must admit that I get out my trusty old 'awl' (tool for making small holes larger). It destroys the record, but it provides an easy method of transfer if the pin on the turntable is not removable. I have never done that on important and/or rare recordings.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                  X