Ideas for Version Seven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas for Version Seven

Since we are working on Version Seven, now would be a good time to make suggestions for new filters or features or whatever you would like to see.

Thanks -
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

This could even be included in a patch for 6: the save icon in fast edit mode should work as "save", not "save as" (or possibly be user selectable in prefs).

Comment

I think the options "Save" and "Save as" should both be available in the Fast Edit mode.

Comment

Hey! I have a suggestion for a new tool, but may be a bit much for the next upgrade. It seems more and more people at this forum are needing DiamondCut for restoration of private tape collections. One area of tape restoration that I believe needs to be addressed is the effects of high frequency tape saturation. With existing DiamondCut products we can compensate for high frequency loss with acceptible results, but as the signal amplitude gets lower on the tapes (quiet passages), that enhanced treble response can become excessive. What would be neat would be a tool with two sets of adjustable settings (Maybe 2 sets of adjustable Multi-Tools?). One setting for 0db level and one for -20db level. The tool could adjust between the two settings by tracking the signal amplitude of the tape. Is this idea of a "Saturation Tamer" feasible?

Comment

Hi DJBohn,

Need to think about that one. I guess you want a dual thresholding expander and compressor. I am also still trying to figure out if the existing Dynamics Processor could be made to do that since it has independent Expansion and Compression systems. What I am also wondering about is how to avoid the pumping effect as it slides between the two thresholds. Maybe it needs to have a "soft knee" at both switchover points. Maybe Rick has some ideas.

Comment

Here's one:

I deal with two situations fairly often: a) where someone started playing a song before the person recording was ready, so there's a fairly quick "fade up" from low to normal levels; and b) where the recording was too "hot" and the person recording had to decrease the levels.

My thought is something like the current fade-in/fade-out tool, but where you would highlight an area and it would either increase the gain of the highlighted area so that it would all "normalize" to the level of the spot immediately after the highlighted portion. In my head, it works sort of like this: Say a selected portion starts out at -30 dB and immediately after the highlighted portion, it's at -5 dB. Then, sort of like the fader control, it would calculate what's needed (e.g., an increase of 25 dB, then calculate the time of the selected portion and increase the portion in a "reverse fade" manner.

My guess is that you can do this already in the fader section, but you have to know what levels you're dealing with, etc. and it would be really nice to have the program figure out all that automatically.
            Dan McDonald

Comment

Bump to the top.

Comment

DC7 Wish List - Click & Preview

An idea bandied about in the 'Ez Clean Preview Problem' thread: the ablity to place the mouse pointer anywhere within a selected area and executing a "Preview from Here" function by a right click menu selection or a button selection from the filter window would be a beneficial function in non-adaptive filters.
                "I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu, The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)

Comment

Tim,

It is now on the todo list. However, it is probably not as useful on the various adaptive type filters as you know.

Comment

Click and Preview

Craig: Sorry to bring this up again; I wanted the "Click & Preview" to apply to all of the filters. I think you've got it, just didn't want this to get lost in all of the confusion.

Hey Tim: Don't want to appear dumb; I know what filters are, but what is an "adaptive filter", versus a regular filter? Hope I'm not opening another "box of worms".

Comment

If click and preview is the same as preview from here, then we have it. As for Adaptive Filters, they are designed to automatically adjust themselves to their changing noise environments. Examples of this sort of Filter in the Diamond Cut Software include the following:

EZ Clean
                      Forensics AFDF (in the CNF)
                      Auto Spectrum CNF (in the CNF)
                      Forensics Adaptive

Comment

Ideas for Version Seven

In reference to an earlier thread (normalize filter posted on 03-15-2005),
                        please add the ability to adjust the normalize filter in the batch file processor.

Comment

Bernie,

I just added it to the todo list. Thanks.

Comment

Click and preview

Originally posted by Craig Maier
                            If click and preview is the same as preview from here, then we have it.
                            Do you mean that it's on the to do list or that it is already in DC6?
                            "I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu, The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)

Comment

Click and play is already there, but click and preview of a filter isn't, right?
                              Dan McDonald

Comment

Working...
                              X