No announcement yet.

Tape Restoration Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You should be able to access the electronic form of the manual under the help menu like in most other programs. I think there was also a pdf version included with the download, but are not sure.
    At work I may look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm actually quite busy

Comment

Originally posted by Doug
      You should be able to access the electronic form of the manual under the help menu like in most other programs. I think there was also a pdf version included with the download, but are not sure.

Doug,

I'd love a pdf of the manual - but all that was included with the download was the application file (DC6online.exe) - no pdf.

The Help access from DC6 only opens the HTML help files - that's why I can't seem to located the pages you referenced (pages 262-267).

If there is a link to a pdf manual - please let me know.

Thanks for all the guidance so far!

Comment

Originally posted by roxie2401
        If there is a link to a pdf manual - please let me know.

Thanks for all the guidance so far!
        Did you get the software through Tracer as a download? If you did, they will be able to provide you with a "private" link to a html version of the manual.

Last year when I was in the process of moving, I misplaced my installation software and manual and they were very helpful in resolving both issues.

They should be open tomorrow. I don't have their telephone handy right this second, but their website is:

www.tracertek.com

regards,

GB

PS. I would highly recommend you get the manual (electronic is OK) before you really start working intensively with the product. The manual is excellent and will resolve many issues you may have with your restorations.
        Last edited by ; 10-08-2006, 07:38 PM.

Comment

I'll also go look for another r-r machine to see if its a head alignment issue - I used to have a Wollensak machine with adjustable heads - little knob to raise or lower the head position - too bad I sold it.
          If it was recorded on a full-track machine, its highly unlikely a head alignment problem would be height or position related - that would be much more probable with a half-track or quarter-track recording. However, all the problems you describe are quite normal for a machine with a head azimuth alignment problem. (The head gap isn't perfectly perpendicular to the lateral movement of the tape over the head -- or at least isn't the same as it was on the machine on which the tape was originally recorded.) If you can get hold of an azimuth alignment tape you can check it quite easily...
          1. put your tape on the machine and turn the azimuth adjustment screw on the playback head (usually the only one on the playback head mount that is painted).
          2. listen to the playback as you rotate the screw, find the place that gives the best playback sound - hopefully correcting all the problems you mentioned.
          3. record the tape into your computer.
          4. play the azimuth alignment tape, twisting the same screw until you get the highest output meter reading. This will resore the correct azimuth adjustment point. Paint the screw to lock it in place using nail polish.

You can use any kind of azimuth alignment tape for this - full, half or quarter track, since you are only adjusting for relative maximum output.

Since you just had your unit adjusted, if you don't have an azimuth adjustment tape, there is an alternate method to reset the playback head azimuth. Put some new tape on the machine and use DC6 to generate a 10,000 Hz tone out of your sound card. Record this signal and use it as an the azimuth alignment tape. If we assume your technician had both playback and record azimuth correctly adjusted, you can use either one to adjust the other.
          Hope this helps.

Comment

Whilst I'm not on the computer to check Brian, I am almost certain that Curtis from Tracer Teck sent me 2 files and one was the manual. I will check a little later.
            At work I may look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm actually quite busy

Comment

Whilst I'm not on the computer to check Brian, I am almost certain that Curtis from Tracer Teck sent me 2 files and one was the manual. I will check a little later.
              No need to check. Manual files are available, providing it was a purchased through Tracer.

GB

Comment

Thanks GB...I recon mine was for DC5 and thought I may have to eat my own words...I cannot find the file, but remember receiving it.

Maybe ask Curtis about the electronic version of the manual guys. He will have a registry of legitimate program owners, and I'm sure Curtis will help you out.

Comment

Thanks GB...I recon mine was for DC5 and thought I may have to eat my own words...I cannot find the file, but remember receiving it.

Maybe ask Curtis about the electronic version of the manual guys. He will have a registry of legitimate program owners, and I'm sure Curtis will help you out.
                  Yep...He helped me out .... big time. You get kind of spoiled dealing with Diamondcut and Tracer, because they all are so helpful.

GB

Comment

Originally posted by Geebster
                    The above paragragh is your starting point. If you need further assistance pages 262-267 (in the DC 6 manual) has some good info about tape recording and restoration.

GB

GB,

I got the PDF file from Tracer (and from Diamond Cut). But, the PDF only has 237 pages in the DC6 manual.

Are you looking at the printed version or PDF? Could you tell me paragraph number or "Topics" that are on pages 262-267?

Thanks

Comment

I think that the formatting of the .pdf version of the users manual is different compared to the shipped printed version. The shipped printed version is 8 1/2 x 5 1/2 whereas the .pdf is 8 1/2 x 11 (as I recall). So, the pagenation if different.

But, the section that Geebster was referring to is in

Section 3 - How To

Tutorials

Analog tape recording transfer tips
                      "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Maier
                        I think that the formatting of the .pdf version of the users manual is different compared to the shipped printed version. The shipped printed version is 8 1/2 x 5 1/2 whereas the .pdf is 8 1/2 x 11 (as I recall). So, the pagenation if different.

But, the section that Geebster was referring to is in

Section 3 - How To

Tutorials

Analog tape recording transfer tips

Craig, et al,

Thanks so much for the getting-started information.

Two things - First, I'm beginning to think mis-aligning the repro head on the professional deck may be the solution. After examining the one tape in question, I see that it was recorded 1/4 track and not on the machine I originally thought - so, head adjustment may be required. I have just played some professional 1/4 track tapes (Columbia Tape Club) and they sound just fine with full frequency response and they are the same vintage - so the machine is probably correctly aligned to factory specs - but not matching the tape in question.

Second - don't I feel foolish. After receiving the PDF manual from Tracer (Thanks, Jeff), I found that a PDF version of the manual is included in the original download exe file - I just never looked in the DC6 Program File folder - I tend to stay as far away from C:\Program Files as possible and never thought the PDF would be part of the install routine.

After I mess (technical term) with the head alignment, I'll post the results.

Comment

Some information regarding tape head alignment can be found at the following link:

http://www.diamondcut.com/vforum/sho...head+alignment
                          "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

GB,

I got the PDF file from Tracer (and from Diamond Cut). But, the PDF only has 237 pages in the DC6 manual.

Are you looking at the printed version or PDF? Could you tell me paragraph number or "Topics" that are on pages 262-267?

Thanks
                            Sorry I didn't get back to you in time.... But Thanks to the ever present Craig!!!

It looks like you are on your way in solving your issue. As a reminder, that manual has a wealth of information and most problems are covered in it. When I first started using DC products (DCArt 32 in my case) I was hesitant to use the manual much, but it is a goldmine of information. This BBS is nice, but the manual is outstanding as well.

GB

Comment

Originally posted by Geebster
                              Sorry I didn't get back to you in time.... But Thanks to the ever present Craig!!!

It looks like you are on your way in solving your issue. As a reminder, that manual has a wealth of information and most problems are covered in it. When I first started using DC products (DCArt 32 in my case) I was hesitant to use the manual much, but it is a goldmine of information. This BBS is nice, but the manual is outstanding as well.

GB

GB,

When I talked to Jeff and he sent me the PDF file electronically, I also ordered the hard-copy version. PDF is searchable, but I can take the hard-copy with me and make notes. More later--thanks for the excellent support and interest.

Comment

GB,

When I talked to Jeff and he sent me the PDF file electronically, I also ordered the hard-copy version. PDF is searchable, but I can take the hard-copy with me and make notes. More later--thanks for the excellent support and interest.
                                Yes, I prefer the hard copy too. There is just something about holding it in your hand that is comforting...

GB

Comment

Working...
                                X