Spectrum Analyzer & Resonance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spectrum Analyzer & Resonance

In addition to resonant acoustical 78's, I'll occasionally run across an lp that sounds as if it's been recorded in a shower stall. How is the frequency of these resonances displayed on the spectrum analyzer?
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 07-11-2019, 11:08 AM.
    "You earthlings are all fools, fools, fools, do you hear me ..." Plan 9 From Outer Space

It will look like a Gaussian distribution (sometimes called a "Normal" or "Bell" curve). It can be either upwards deflecting or reverse deflecting (as in the case of an anti-resoance). It is usually less than an octave in width. It takes a bit of training to see these things and to be able to distinguish them from the normal peaks and valleys in the overall response of a recording. But, generally, these bumps or dips are larger in amplitude than any of the musical variations that one would find on most recordings. Also, there can be smaller bumps riding on top of the resonace (or anti-resonance).
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Thanks Craig.....I've "analyzed" several recordings & seemed to have found a pattern....high amplitude bumps in an otherwise normal looking display, almost like acne. My acoustic recordings have them in the 300-500 hz range. Rudecing or eliminating them has very positive results.
      "You earthlings are all fools, fools, fools, do you hear me ..." Plan 9 From Outer Space

Comment

Assuming that you are using the Spectrum Analyzer method for average spectral measurement, you can point your mouse at the peak of these resonance(s) and left click on them and it will display the frequency and amplitude of the spectral bump in the upper left hand corner of the Spectrum Analyzer display. That will make it easier to set up the pargraphic or 20 or 30 band graphic EQ to compensate for it.

Note: For more information on this topic, refer to this link:

http://www.diamondcut.com/vforum/showthread.php?t=2620
        Last edited by Craig Maier; 02-11-2007, 01:35 PM.

Comment

yes...I especially like using paragraphic as the exact peak of the bump can be easily set & the balance of the bump tapered, sort of a reverse bump.....hope I'm making sense, thanks again.

Comment

Yup! The paragraphic EQ is the ideal tool to use in this particular application.

Comment

Working...
            X