Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CD burn

Hi all, this is my first post.
    My problem is: when I hit burn cd button, I get error message "could not find any cd recorder in your system".
    But I have internal dvd-rw and external too.
    My specs:
    Dell Inspiron 9400-Windows xp sp2-DC 7.04.
    Thank you
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 04-04-2019, 06:14 PM.

I have been round and round with Dell about this. They sent me 3 new DVD/CD burners, then I figured out that sometimes, I could just unplug the one I have, restart, then shut down, then plug it back in, and it would recognize it. In the end, I took off xxx and a couple of other CD burners and that seems to have done the trick. Dell thinks it is an issue where some software has done something to the Windows registry. Microsoft has a "hot fix" for it, but you have to email MS, then wait for them to reply. It has been two and a half weeks since I emailed them and no reply yet.

This is assuming that when you get to your "my computer" it shows a CD player and not a DVD burner.

The other thing I did was that I switched brands of DVDs. I now use Phillips exclusively. Some burners are very picky about particular brands and it confuses them.

If your "my computer" says it's a dvd burner, then just forget this post!
    Dan
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 12-17-2007, 02:36 PM.
    Dan McDonald

Comment

Thank you, Dan.
      But I have also external Plextor DVD-R PX716 and I get same error message.
      Also, with other apps, my two dvd-recorder work well.

Comment

OK - then this is a different problem.
        Dan McDonald

Comment

Rick and I were chatting about this today and we do not know what is causing the problem. However, it is theoretically possible that another Audio Software Application could maliciously block access to CD burning resources for some other applications; sort of a nasty marketing technique. But, who knows.
          "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Maier
            Rick and I were chatting about this today and we do not know what is causing the problem. However, it is theoretically possible that another Audio Software Application could maliciously block access to CD burning resources for some other applications; sort of a nasty marketing technique. But, who knows.
            I guess anything is possible... But, I will say this; I do a lot of hardware/software testing for a host of companies and almost without fail, DC7 and before it, DC Audio Mentor have behaved quite nicely with other burning packages.

Even xxx which is notorious for prohibiting access to other software burning packages co-exists with DC7 very nicely...

GB
            Last edited by Craig Maier; 12-17-2007, 02:35 PM.

Comment

That is good to know. But, we do not know what could be causing Andreas problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Maier
                That is good to know. But, we do not know what could be causing Andreas problem.
                Yes, I just wanted to share my observations, because at least on my system DC7 works with about any burning package, so the root problem may be elsewhere...

GB

Comment

Andrea is not alone - I also have that problem, so I use either xxx or yyy.
                  Last edited by Craig Maier; 12-17-2007, 02:34 PM.
                  "You earthlings are all fools, fools, fools, do you hear me ..." Plan 9 From Outer Space

Comment

Mine only burns with DC7 now, not with xxx or yyy.

Dan
                    Dan McDonald

Comment

Quoting Dan:

"Mine only burns with DC7 now, not with xxx or yyy."

---------------------------------------------------

That leads me to think that maybe it is some sort of Windows XP problem.

Comment

Yes, that's what I think. I still haven't heard from MS about the hotfix. It was supposed to be within 8 hours but it's been about a week. I guess I'll contact MS again.

It's either that or reformat the hard drive and reinstall everything, which I'd really rather not do.

Dan
                        Dan McDonald

Comment

Thank you all.
                          I have only DC6 and DC7 on my system, no other music editing application.
                          I have also Pinnacle Studio 11 Ultimate and a few other apps.
                          My system is clean, I suppose.

Comment

Andrea -

Philips is probably the manufacturer of your internal DVD burner if it's a Dell. I just found that they have a "intelligent agent" that will check for updates for your dvd drives every 10 days or so. I don't know how I found it, or I'd give you the link. Anyway, they had a flash update for my burner that wasn't available on the Dell website. If you search for their software and install it, it automaticaly goes and checks for any philips hardware you have to see if it's the latest version, and links to the site so that you can download it. Seems pretty good, and, like I said, it just updated mine, and it seems happier now. Windows recognized it right away after the update.

Just search for Philips intelligent agent or something like that and you should be able to find it if you're interested in it.

actually I just found the link:

http://www.storageupdates.philips.com/EN/pia.html

Dan
                            Dan McDonald

Comment

Just for the record, I have been purchasing Dell computers for over 10 years and none of them had Philips drives installed. FYI

GB

Comment

Working...
                              X