Requests for Version DC8 Product Inputs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoting Brian:

"Gee Craig, what a coincidence -- I just happen to have both buttons available for sale "for the discounted price of all your money and all of your property payable to me immediately. Just send me all of your assets now!
    (my) Satisfaction Guaranteed."
    Think of it as a two-for-one sale. :-)"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Just depress the button below with your mouse, and you shall have all of our money and all of our property transferred to you electronically. But this contract means that you accept the terms that you must deliver the expected systems to us within one week:

|______________________

Thanks!

Craig

What a Deal! We are now kings of the universe with these new tools.
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 04-23-2009, 07:32 PM.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

OK, but remember "(my) Satisfaction Guaranteed."
      :-)

P.S. My wife just came in and asked me why someone has transfered $3.27 into our bank account.

Comment

"My" satisfaction refers to me, and I will be satisified when we receive the goods. And, your remittance of $3.27 (in the positive) is more than I would have expected - - - so there is some sort of accounting error on your end. We are in the hole for 753 Trillion bucks here. Since you are absorbing all of our assets (which legally means all of our debits as well), it seems that you owe us a few bucks minus $3.27.

Please forward the IP asap and also the difference between our liabality and our assets as well.

Thanks,

The Management.

Comment

Apologies to Everyone - - - Brian and I are Jerks

Folks,

Per subject - - - please ignore both of us and provide us (Diamond Cut Productions, Inc.) with useful inputs about DC8.

Brian and I have a long history of being jerks and so now you understand why he now owes us so much.

Craig

Comment

Here's a serious one. I'd like to be able to highlight an area and raise the level by X dB, but in a way that the beginning and ending of the highlighted portions can be raised to different levels.

It is sort of like fade out and fade in, but it would act on the file in relation to its present level, rather than at an actual 0 point. So, for example, if a highlighted portion is at -5 dB currently, I could raise the beginning to 0 dB, and let then end of the highlighted portion stay at -5dB. Just a linear function would be fine.

I find in a lot of live soundboard recordings that the person running the equipment will make a very quick adjustment (such as turning the level down), then realize they over compensated, and turn it back up, all in the space of a second or two. Right now, I have to chunk that short space into little pieces and raise each one different amounts, or I use fade in or fade out in two steps, but have to guess as to what level the recording is at the beginning and end, so it's a tedious process, with a lot of running it over and over. If I could just set it up to do this as two steps - first the decrease, then the increase, it would be very simple, but to do that, it has to leave the beginning of the highlighted portion untouched, so that's the tricky part.

Not sure if that makes sense.

Dan
            Dan McDonald

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Maier
              Folks,

Per subject - - - please ignore both of us and provide us (Diamond Cut Productions, Inc.) with useful inputs about DC8.

Brian and I have a long history of being jerks and so now you understand why he now owes us so much.

Craig
              Mea Culpa. And, on a serious note, I do owe Craig and Rick a lot for developing this great product that is useful, educational and (most of the time) just plain fun to use. When I first ran across DC, the counter for this forum showed only a couple of hundred members - now it is over 10,000 so congratulations on an obviously "growing" concern.

Brian

Comment

Variable dv/dt on Impulse Filters ?

With regard to DC8 ; The de-clicking process in the impulse filters uses the rate of change (dv/dt) of the signal to find and remove the noise.

In an early note that I wrote and Craig responded to, he explained why a pickup that I was using (homemade cylinder pickup for 2M records) could have made the impulse noise removal difficult since it didn't have a fast response to cracks/noise as say a Stanton 500.

Would a variable setting for the dv/dt into the algorithum be able to, say use a wider range of pickups for noise reduction? Or, does the current impulse filter's "tracking" setting do the same thing ?

Regards,
                Marc

Comment

Dan,

Does the curvelinear gain change feature help facilitate the situation?

Comment

Quoting Marc,

With regard to DC8 ; The de-clicking process in the impulse filters uses the rate of change (dv/dt) of the signal to find and remove the noise.

In an early note that I wrote and Craig responded to, he explained why a pickup that I was using (homemade cylinder pickup for 2M records) could have made the impulse noise removal difficult since it didn't have a fast response to cracks/noise as say a Stanton 500.

Would a variable setting for the dv/dt into the algorithum be able to, say use a wider range of pickups for noise reduction? Or, does the current impulse filter's "tracking" setting do the same thing ?

Regards,
                    Marc

------------------------------------------------------------------

The algorithm is much, much more complicated than a simple time derivative. I do not want to get into too many details about it, but there are adaptive elements to it as well as a pretty complex set of rules used to identify what represents a click and what represents music. The controls that are provided vary numerous parameters at the same time within the routines.

I hope that helps. If we say too much about it, then the competitors could gain insight into what has taken us years to develop and fine tune.

But, overall, as with any algorithm, there is always room for improvement and we are working on improving the replacement portion of the routine right now so that it can more accurately perform long interpolations. This will extend itself to the manual interpolator, and you may see interpolations of up to 1 second possible in the next release. So, in theory, you may be able to interpolate out a person coughing during a live recording of a concert. This is tricky business, but it is moving along.

Craig
                    Last edited by Craig Maier; 04-24-2009, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Craig,

I can understand the need to make the details a "trade secret". It is, after all, a fundamental reason for buying the product.

Regards,
                      Marc

Comment

Hi Craig -

I just tried it, and it's exactly what I needed, so you can delete that request. Sorry. DC7 has so many things that I just don't use them all and hadn't tried that with this kind of problem.

Dan
                        Dan McDonald

Comment

Added features

Hi Craig,

It would be nice to see a sub harmonic synthesizer in version 8. I thought one was slated for version 7, but it never came about. A lower bass limit control with say an minimum of 15 Hz combined with an upper bass control for the synthesis starting point would be a nice feature set. (Maybe a synthesis level control as well...)

A stereo wide control would also be nice for stereo shy recordings. A simple single blend control from normal to full wide sound would be more than enough.

Comment

Undertones & Overtones

Hi DJ,

We plan on including a sub-harmonic synthesizer under the Effects menu under the rubric of something like "Undertones & Overtones" or maybe just Under & Over. This will not only produce sub-harmonic signals, but Overtones (doubles) as well. The subharmonics are obvious but the overtones will help recordings weak on the top end, sort of like the VVA except that it will produce only "Evens". The VVA produces Evens and Odds or Odds Only, no Evens only. So, this will fill that gap.

Craig
                            Last edited by Craig Maier; 05-11-2009, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Quoting DJ:

"A stereo wide control would also be nice for stereo shy recordings. A simple single blend control from normal to full wide sound would be more than enough."

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that we may have that already, but it is hidden from obvious view. If you go to the File Conversion Filter, there is an option as follows:

L = L + R
                              R = L - R

If you apply that to a weak stereo signal and then adjust the two gain controls in the filte conversion filter, you should be able to achieve what you are describing. Or, am I missing the principle?

Craig

Comment

Possible additions to DC8

Would it be possible to have multiple highlighted areas to which one could apply a filter's operation simultaneously?

Also, sometimes I would like to have multiple Multi-Filters so that I could check the results of one vs. the other quickly. Thinking about it, would defining custom presets do this?

Audio Yoda

Comment

Working...
                                X