Confirming Pseudo Stereo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confirming Pseudo Stereo

I need to confirm that some stereo files in my possession have actually been made from a mono source (originally audiotape) as part of a forensic investigation. Can anyone assist and identify a definitive test?

I have read Dan McDonald's thread "Detecting Stereo vs Mono", which is helpful, but need to go a little further. Trying Craig Maier's suggestion of comparing a L-R version with the original, I could make-out no real difference, as he indicates is likely when listening to a mono converted sample. However for forensic purposes I need a less subjective test.

When viewing spectrograms of L compared with L-R, they are nearly identical, but with obviously less data in the L-R.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 04-07-2019, 05:51 PM.

The key tool for determining stereo signals is the X-Y Display found under the View Menu. There is a description of it in the Users manual and some diagrams and descriptions to help you identify what a true stereo signal looks like compared to a mono one.

Craig
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Maier View Post
      The key tool for determining stereo signals is the X-Y Display found under the View Menu. There is a description of it in the Users manual and some diagrams and descriptions to help you identify what a true stereo signal looks like compared to a mono one.

Craig
      Thanks Craig for your reply. I've used this facility, and my signals do appear to be stereo, and not mono. But surely pseudo stereo will do that?

Comment

A poor pseudo stereo signal will tend to produce elipses of varying major axis'. However, a good pseudo stereo signal (made with a program like Diamond Cut) is hard to discern from a true stereo one. So, it depends on the quality of the pseudo stereo synthesis.

When I do that, I use a combination of the comb filters found in the paragraphic, the time offset in the file conversion filter, a little echo effect and a very slight touch of reverb.

The result is something that looks and sounds like real stereo. But, I have seen commercial releases of pseudo stereo recordings that are easily identified as such using the X-Y display (elipses).

Craig

Comment

A poor pseudo stereo signal will tend to produce ellipses of varying major axis'. However, a good pseudo stereo signal (made with a program like Diamond Cut) is hard to discern from a true stereo one. So, it depends on the quality of the pseudo stereo synthesis.

When I do that, I use a combination of the comb filters found in the paragraphic, the time offset in the file conversion filter, a little echo effect and a very slight touch of reverb.

The result is something that looks and sounds like real stereo. But, I have seen commercial releases of pseudo stereo recordings that are easily identified as such using the X-Y display (elipses).

Craig
          Thanks Craig. Using the X-Y vector analysis feature, I observe ellipses as you suggest, as the vector fluctuates from L to R. According to DCL's user manual, the signal is tending towards monophonic right and then monophonic left, which I assume can be described as "phase jitter".

Perhaps that is all I need to prove my hypothesis. However the "jitter" corresponds to individual speakers (ie the speech of individuals), and as I know the source audiotape was made on a 4 track conference recorder, I need to reassure myself that is not influencing the result. The problem is that I do not have a stereo source other than music to use as a comparison.

Comment

Quoting Immuminate:

"The problem is that I do not have a stereo source other than music to use as a comparison."

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Just set up two mics in a room separated by a few feet and record a conversation between two people in said room. Look at that on the X-Y display and you shall see what a true stereo signal looks like. It will not be simple elipses.

Craig

Comment

Quoting Immuminate:

"The problem is that I do not have a stereo source other than music to use as a comparison."

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Just set up two mics in a room separated by a few feet and record a conversation between two people in said room. Look at that on the X-Y display and you shall see what a true stereo signal looks like. It will not be simple elipses.

Craig
              I take the point, the problem is I do not possess two mics at the moment.

Below are some random screenshots taken from one of my suspect files.
              Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

I think that is a stereo signal - - - the average angle is changing alot which is a hint and the elipses are of variable foci. If you want to send me a short sample, I can analyze it myself and render my opinion about it. Send 10 secs of the file to me at

dctools@aol.com.

I will not get to it for a day or so as it is a holiday, but I will do it this week.

Craig

Comment

Thanks Craig, I appreciate that. I've sent you a short clip.

Comment

Working...
                  X