Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DirectSound Error: Unknown Error Number

Hi,

I've been unable to play a set of sound files sent to me, getting the above error message. They seem to play fine using the default player in the OS. If it helps, I was sent these by an amateur with consumer gear. He says the A/D converter was set for 16-bit but the files display as 32-bit floating (44.1k sampling).

Thanks for any advice.

John
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 01-09-2020, 02:02 PM.

It sounds like the header for the files are incorrect. Try using the Change Sample Rate - Resolution feature found under the Edit menu. Convert it to standard 44.1 kHz, 16 bits.

Craig
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Yup, that did it Craig. Thanks!

Comment

Hi,

Glad to know that your files are usable.

Craig

Comment

Hello Craig,

it's impossible to record anymore with DC 10 from any outher source (mike, turntable, Google. Everytime I hit the Record button in the Record File box, I get the following message: "DirectSound Error. An undeterminated error occured inside the DirectSound Subsystem".
          So I verified the sound settings (Input and Output) in the Preferences dialog box. Everything looks ok. Then I did the same with my sound card system: OK is the answer again.
          I updated the Sound drivers (Realtek Chipset), the Directsound drivers, uninstalled the Realtek mix audio driver and re-installed it. Finally I uninstalled and re-installed DC 10. Nothing helps.
          I add this particular event to the situation: I tried to install the DC10-6 a couple of weeks ago and it was impossible to use it because of a lot of failures in some easy situations. I don't remember precisely what but I got back to DC 10-5.1. Since then I used the program a lot to give a new shuffle to my old files (Wav & Mp3's) BUT I didn't record anything new so I'm not able to tell you when and why the problem appeared.
          Last thing: I have DC 8.1 installed on my laptop and the record function works normally as before. My desktop runs Windows 10 (upgrade from Windows 7) since around 4 month.

Thank you for an analyse and maybe a helpful comment.

Julien

Comment

I think that there is a corrupt file on your hard drive (or maybe some bad sectors). Uninstall the software program. Remove the original installer. Re-download the installer from this link:

https://www.diamondcut.com/Downloads/DC106Setup.msi

Install that. You should be good to go. If not, call us at 973-316-9111.

Thanks,

Craig

Comment

Thank You for the answer, Craig.
              Unfortunately, I did what you suggest but got no result. I erased DC 10.51, the installer of 10.51, DC 10.6 and even the old version of DC 8.5.
              My HDD (C) is analysed and clean, doesn't need to be defragmented. I installed then the software program on my second HDD (in case of damaged clusters on the C drive) but it didn't help.
              So I don't know how to solve this problem. But I still have the opportunity to record files on my laptop with DC 8.5, which is working correctly, and transfer them with an USB stick into DC 10.6 on my desktop.
              So I don't feel abandoned in my use of DC. Couldn't this be related to the problems with Windows 10 updates?
              Thanks for helping

Julien

Comment

I suppose it could be related to Windows 10 updates, but I would imagine if that were the case, we would have a tidal wave of complaints coming in. Right now, we only have one complaint, so I do not know what to say. I know what they do when things like this happen at large companies or organizations. They do not bother to diagnose it. They wipe the C drive clean by re-formatting it (the company IT dept. does it). Then, they re-install the O/s and the other important software. That does fix 95% of all system problems.
                Last edited by Craig Maier; 03-10-2020, 02:39 PM.

Comment

You are licensed for one user on two computers for DCArt10.6. So, consider putting a copy of DCArt10.6 onto your laptop for now.

Craig

Comment

Thanks for your concern, Craig.
                    Considering that the installation of DC 10.6 a couple of weeks ago was not a real succes (because some of the basic functions didn't work quite welI) and that all the different versions of DC I used (since 1998) worked perfectly, I can only conclude that the problem is inside my HDD. So the final test would be to clean the drive, reformat it and reinstall the OS. But I want first to give a go to the Registry and look if some unused key was left behind and could cause the problem. I'll keep you informed of that last effort.
                    Good surprise I can install DC 10.6 on my laptop. Thanks for the information.

Julien

Comment

I made Rick aware of your situation and he sent back the following comments:

Did you ask what record format he is using? 44/16, or other format? It may have been set to something strange that his card does not support. (Like Floating point)

That's the first thing that comes to mind.
                      He could also go back to WDM drives and see if that works.

Rick

Comment

I'm having the same problem. Just bought DC10-8 and did happens here as it has before on DC7. I remember working some voodoo on it once before getting it to work and of course didn't documrnt my resulls and its gone flooy again. Wanted to know if you've had any success since the last post here in 2020

Comment

It's usually that the soundcard preferences under the edit menu are set to MME drivers rather than WDM drivers. Few soundcards today support MME.

Comment

Under the preferences soundcard setting, check that the specific sound device is shown and that the device is enabled via the control panel path or other path to the device. While there, check that the sample rate selected (advance settings) matches the value under the record button.

Marc

Comment

Did all that but came up with bupkis, except for thee advance setting. Where do I> find the advance settings?

Comment

Working...
                              X