No announcement yet.

Audio to Digital converter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I probably had something to do with the problem - sometimes out of convenience I will change the Diamond Cut driver to Direct X, so I can make a correction in just one channel - the Julia doesn't work with Direct X, but I have been changing it back to MME - could I have severed the lock with the sound card by doing this?

Comment

I think that the MME drivers do not support anything above 48 kHz sampling rates. WDM drivers (found under the edit/preferences/soundcard area of the program) support at least up to 192 kHz sampling rate (I recall that I used it up to 210 kHz at one point using a very expensive A/D card in a scientific application (involving medical ultrasonics).

Craig
      "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Thanks Craig, just tried that, applied, hit OK. Even closed out Diamond Cut & restarted the computer, but still have the same issue. It's even locked at 44.1kHz on playback of 96kHz files. Hope ESI responds. A few others on the Internet have had similar problems.

Comment

DJBohn,

Once you have selected the sound card you are using via Control Panel, the Advance Tab will show you what the "Actual" Sample Rate is. Often, that software will allow you to select the correct value as the Diamond Cut is using.

With regard to the Focusrite product, it will use it own control panel independent of Windows to set the sample rate. What I do is:

1. Set the sample rate to the value I want in DIamond Cut Software for recording.
          2. Set the Focusrite Scarett 2i2 Gen 3 to the same sampling value.

Works everytime.

Marc

Comment

Thanks Marc. I am now able to record & play back 24bit/192kHz sampling. Woo Hoo! I guess what bothered me about changing anything was their wording in the advanced settings "Select the sample rate and bit depth to be used when running in shared mode" What the heck do they mean by shared mode? Any program requiring sound, doesn't it need to "share" with the sound card? In any case both the record & play back sections were set at 16/44.1 which I changed to 24/192. I did the silence test and found the card is doing a true 192kHz sampling as the response drops off just above 90k.

One last question though. The sound card still isn't tracking my selected resolution & sampling in Diamond Cut - do I need to change the sound card settings to match what I am using in Diamond Cut for recording, or can I just leave them at 24/192 and be done with it? It seems to work just fine on playback of different material...

Comment

DJBohn,

I have experimented with many different settings regarding the soundcards, DCart, and Windows. What I have found is that the Windows option regarding "shared" and "exclusive control" are not compatible with the soundcard and DCart's software. You can set the exclusive options under the properties and advance tab, but they really do not work correctly.

Thus, I manually set BOTH the soundcard settings via Control Panel AND Diamond Cut Software's record function. Note: The header on the Wave file is set correctly by the software in the record option but the actual sample rate is set in control panel.

Its somewhat messy, but if you just check both sample rate settings for the same value, then you will be O.K. In effect, the WIndows operating software gets in the way between the DCart software and the soundcard.

Note: The focusrite scarlet 2i2 gen3 is kind of a hybrid in that their software is the ONLY control of the sample rate. Windows control panel will not control correctly the sample rate for this device.

Marc

Comment

That's kind of pretty much what I did - went into control panel - selected hardware & sound - under sound I selected manage audio devices - audio devices come up & Julia 1/2 is the selected default device (under both playback & record tabs) - I double click on that & the Julia properties comes up - it gives me 3 tabs, general, levels & advanced - under advanced is what gave me that selection. I couldn't find any other location to change the settings. I don't mind changing it this way as it's an easy manual setting. Am I doing this wrong?

Comment

DJBohn,

Yes, change it in both DCart and Control Panel to the value you want for sample rate.

Marc

Comment

DJ - are you sure there is not a more up to date driver for your ESI card?

Craig

Comment

Hey Craig. I wish it were that easy. I went to the ESI website and found the latest driver to be 1.2.1 which is the same drivers I'm using - they haven't updated them in 5 years. The card has been around since 2012. Maybe they're working on a replacement.

Comment

One would imagine that a 5 year old driver could be an issue, but I am not sure. Software and operating systems change a lot over that time period, so compatibility comes to my mind.
                        But, if there are no updates/upgrades, not much that you can do about that.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                        X