PC Configurations for DCart 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Configurations for DCart 10

Hi, just wondering what PC configurations you're all using, and whether you're having any issues with resources getting locked up the further into your restoration process you go during a given session. I ask because of some DCart 10.06 app crashing going on lately, and it may be related to apps running concurrently. I built an MS Access database to index LPs, 78s and 45s, song and artist info, to set up a hyperlink to Discogs, and to track any filtering steps I took in restoration processes. I also have created links to the wav files, both pre and post-filtering/restoring, and I can access those links within the database itself to sample. The database also dynamically creates unique file names associated with those wav files which I also use to label my record jackets and sort them on the shelf. My point is that I need the database open in the background to be able to alt-tab back and forth. I also have the Discogs site open, and comparing data there with stamping and runout etchings on the vinyl. Anyway, I'm thinking that 6 gigs memory is getting eaten up pretty fast. Processor isn't the fastest either, -an AMD Phenom II running at 3.0GHz on a windows 7, 64 bit platform. It a Dell Studio XPS 7100. I've tried running System Mechanic toolbox and defragging memory on the fly. Although it tells me I'm freeing up memory, the crashes are still randomly occurring. I've got 6 more gigs memory coming via snail mail and I'm hoping that helps. I may ultimately take Rick's advice, and install a trial run of 10.8. to see if that clears it. Maybe it's also time to install Win 10. But in the meantime, if you'd like to share your setup info, I'm all ears. Thanks.
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 02-12-2022, 10:21 AM.

It sounds like you would benefit from a more powerful computer given all the things that you are running. I doubt 10.8 will fix your issues, but the demo is free, so try it. It is here:

https://www.diamondcut.com/st3/produ...n-tools-10-62/

It will run unencumbered for 15 days. Also, consider purchasing a dedicated DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) for improved performance.

Craig
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 02-04-2022, 08:45 PM.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

I would also note that there is no benefit to running audio at higher resolution values than 16 bits, so if you are, try backing down to that value.

Craig

Comment

Thanks Craig, I'm thinking the same thing. So in order to isolate and identify further, I installed the 10.8 demo version on my other partition with a vanilla windows 10 configuration, and virtually no other software running. Now my issue relates to the Maya22 USB sound card and getting it properly configured. I downloaded the latest Maya22 drivers specific to Win 10 and backward compatible. Every permutation I've tried with respect to input and output devices and channels won't work within the DCart software. I get sound in windows, and make certain to sync settings there with settings within DCart. I even disabled the online sound chip on the motherboard within BIOS settings. Both Win 10 and DCart recognize and ID the Maya22 USB device, but I get nothing coming through the input channel(s) from the flat preamp. Everything works fine in Win 7 as respects sound. Not so much in Win 10. I've made certain signal levels are up, not muted, and allow microphone is set to on. I can't further assess running DCart on Win 10 platform until I can get some sound running through to actually create an initial WAV file for restoration.....

Comment

While I am unfamiliar with the Maya22 sound card, something sounds irrational about the whole situation. Please call me at 973-316-9111 and we will straighten it out.

Craig

Comment

Craig, I got it resolved by uninstalling the Maya22 USB driver version 1.7 that is ESI's designated Win 10/8/7 driver and installed their 2013 version 1.5.0.4 driver that came with the USB sound car and designated for OS through Win 7. I also set the input device to "Listen" while recording. As long as Win 10 likes it, I'll keep it that driver for the duration, and maybe check with ESI further for tech support as needed.

Also, I just installed 8 more gigs of memory on the board, bringing it up to a total of 12 gigs. Response time is faster, and hopefully application resource issues will be addressed as well.

I'm liking what I see on 10.8. Do you know if the Music Restoration Handbook is in stock at this point? I may bite the bullet and get the bundle that's discounted.

Thanks yet again,
            -Bob

Comment

Hi - glad to learn that you were able to resolve the Maya22 driver issue. Right now (2-11-22), we do have 13 in stock, but will be ordering another printing probably when stock hits the threshold of 10 handbooks (shortly).

Best Regards,

Craig

Comment

Working...
              X