Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unable to adjust low input volume in record function.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to adjust low input volume in record function.

Has anyone encountered this problem? All was working very well but suddenly it seems I'm unable to adjust the input volume for 'record file'. It's very low. I've checked all of the sound settings that I can think of.
    I've checked for outdated drivers.The problem doesn't affect direct listening from turntable to speakers through the flat preamp. It also doesn't seem to affect live preview through filters. In those cases adjusting line-in works as always for adjusting input volume. Only 'recording' seems to be affected. I've also tried changing 'line-in' to 'primary sound capture driver' within 'record file' but that seems to make no difference.
    it's 'you get what you get' low recording volume that often results in a barely visible waveform in the saved recording. I can adjust it upward with the gain change, but...
    Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 01-09-2023, 02:59 PM.

Is it on an internal or external sound card/chipset? If it is happening on an external soundcard, try switching to the computers internal soundcard and see what happens. That will help isolate the problem. If you only have an internal soundcard and it suddenly started producing this problem, it points to a soundcard driver issue or a hardware failure in the audio section of the computer.

Craig
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

saopaulo,

How are you adjusting the recording level ?

I set the recording level on the soundcard to maximum, and then set the recording levels via adjustable gain settings on the Focusrite A to D converter. I level the levels on the record function to maximum.

Marc

Comment

Craig,
        It's an internal sound card that seems to be working for everything else. I keep checking drivers but so far sources such as Dell and Avast say drivers are all up to date. However, my Windows update attempts say "your version of Windows (10) has reached end of service" so possibly there's something there to ponder.

Comment

Marc,
          I'm just using the line-in volume control or directly in the Windows/Control Panel/Sound settings, or in the DC 10.8 'set levels'. Those have always worked fine for me for setting recording level but none seem to have any effect now on recording level, it's just very low. As mentioned above to Craig, I've tried updating drivers in various ways, but i've not been getting Windows updates recently since apparently the lifecycle for my Window 10 has ended. Ugh.

Comment

Interesting. I have never seen or heard of an error message "the lifeycle for my Window 10 has ended". I have seen that on an old Windows XP machine that I have here, but it just tells me that it is out of it's support life and yet it still seems to run fine once I bypass that message. It could be that you have picked up malware or a virus on your Win10 machine (unless you are just leasing the Windows operating system - - - but I have never heard of that either). That error message is quite a mystery!

Has anyone else ever seen such a message from Microsoft?

Craig

Comment

Craig,
              My mistake...what the Windows Update message actually says is "your version of Windows has reached end of service" when I try to update. Then I was looking at blogs about Windows lifecycle etc. and
              mashed it all together. Too much leftover eggnog, maybe.

Comment

Windows 10 seem to be fully supported at this point in time. The software (DCArt10.8x) has been fully tested on it without any unresolved issues. So, we have no idea what could be going on with your system. Could it be that some malware got into it?

Comment

Does anything change if you un-install the DCArt10.8x and then re-install it from our website? Maybe a file has become corrupted in the program. The demo version is what to download and install. Your serial number and registration will be preserved through this process. The demo software can be found here:

https://www.diamondcut.com/st3/produ...n-tools-10-62/

​​​​​​​Craig

Comment

Craig, finally this evening my driver updater decided to kick in and updated both an audio and video drivers. Why it couldn't see newer versions of those before is a mystery. BUT...I'm able to adjust recording
                    level now through the Windows/Control Panel/Sound/Recording/Levels which didn't seem to be working before. Hooray! Thank you for your kind assistance.

Comment

I'm glad your problem has been resolved but I only want to say this software works great also in older versions of Windows. Personally I use it since ages in my Windows 7 and it works like a charm.

Comment

Hi - glad to learn that it works on Win7. I have no personal experience with it when used on that operating system, so it is good to have the feedback. I would suggest not placing that machine on the internet for too long since it is a possible malware target.
                        Last edited by Craig Maier; 04-02-2023, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X