Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is RCA trying to ruin your precious vinyl?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually what I meant was...
    "Vodka martini, shaken not stirred"
    It never pays to take me too literally.

Comment

Har, har all! Verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry Funny! I can take a little jesting now and then no less than anyone else. But in all reality of this subject, would the United States government have wasted their time handing out a patent for a product if it didn't do as it claimed???? Would Stereo Review, Audio, High Fidelity and other reputable magazines from around the world endorsed such a product over others such as SoundGuard (just to name one) if it didn't do as it claimed it did? Was this thread really that much of a waste of time? Unlike many of you, I am driving a car with a 1/4 of a million miles on it. Although it isn't using any oil & it's still getting in the mid 40's MPG for gas mileage (what does yours get by the way?), I can't be guaranteed it will still be running next week. Financial limitations like mine don't allow for such luxurys as Keith Monkey or NittyGrittySqueekyCleany record cleaning systems. There ARE those of us at this site who are stuck with cheaper alternatives, whether we like it or not. So with that being said, I believe this thread was a bit more important than the direction it has taken. I rest my case!

Comment

DJ ,

What I posted as a formulation was completely serious. That is my actual interpretation of one of the incarnations of the patent. It really does have all of the key ingredients in their correct respective proportions. I did the math!

If the original discwasher fluid worked, what I published should work. Try it - - - it won't cost much at all to make. As a matter of fact, Tracer is going to publish my interpretation of the patent in their next newsletter - - - I kid you not.

Craig
        Last edited by Craig Maier; 01-18-2006, 12:10 PM.
        "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Originally posted by DJBohn
          ...would the United States government have wasted their time handing out a patent for a product if it didn't do as it claimed???? Would Stereo Review, Audio, High Fidelity and other reputable magazines from around the world endorsed such a product over others ...if it didn't do as it claimed it did? Was this thread really that much of a waste of time? Unlike many of you, I am driving a car with a 1/4 of a million miles on it. ...Financial limitations like mine don't allow for such luxurys as Keith Monkey or NittyGrittySqueekyCleany record cleaning systems. There ARE those of us at this site who are stuck with cheaper alternatives, whether we like it or not. So with that being said, I believe this thread was a bit more important than the direction it has taken.
          Sorry you got your feathers ruffled.

I think the job of the patent office is provide protection for inventors who come up with an idea novel enough from similar products to warrant protection and to assure that there's a reasonable expectation that the product will perform as designed. Brian pointed out: "A primary reason for the patent was its use of DISTILLED water -- wow!"

I suggest you pull out the back issues of the mags you mentioned and measure ad sizes. By its very nature comparing one cleaner to another is an unscientific endeavor (the repeatable part is troublesome). If I owned a mag and the results were indeterminate, I'd give the nod to the product that bought full page color ads. I'm sure Discwasher did what it claimed to do, I just question if it was that much more effective than distilled water. BTW, I still have an economy sized bottle of D3 that I sometimes use.

You're right, not many of us drive cars with 250k. My 1995 Civic has only 160K!

I thought the thread was about record cleaning fluids, not record cleaning machines. As such the comments on the thread have been in line with helping those who don't have unlimited budgets. I don't remember how much the product used to cost, but it's now selling for $5.95 for a 1.25 oz bottle, which works out to about $600/gallon. The old D3 and D4 may have been fine products, but there may be alternatives just as good that are significantly cheaper. If I could make a gallon of home brew for 20 bucks, I would have enough money left over to buy a record cleaning machine!

I think this forum is great because Rick and Craig and others regularly debunk all the silliness that surrounds the audio scene. They do this with common sense and a scientific background. It's the last place I would have expected to be accused of elitism.

Doug

Comment

Obviously just a misread. I wasn't sure if Craig was joking or not, either.

Dan
            Dan McDonald

Comment

Yeah, a lot of times I do like to kid around a bit. But, not this time. I thought that folks would really want to know how to make this stuff at a reasonable price.

I think that the problem with the written word on a forum is the lack of intonation or inuendo (sp?) which can not be communicated. It is sometimes hard to tell if someone is kidding or not with the written word. I guess, if one like myself wants to be taken more seriously, I should not kid around so much about some of the other wacky audio stuff going on out there.

But, a record cleaning solution is something that everyone needs to have and it may as well be reasonable in cost. So, I worked it out for myself and shared it with everyone else to benefit too.

ps - my car is about 10 years old, so I am pretty sensistive about capricious spending also.

Comment

well...my wink denotes I am with the joke, but still, stirring is best - to be taken seriously or not!
                At work I may look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm actually quite busy

Comment

Hey,
                  I apologize to everyone for going a bit over the top. I've had some other things going on here that have been pushing my buttons lately so I'm just a little on the touchy side these days. (I hope it will all work out...)Anyway I know, I know - Lighten up a bit!

Comment

Originally posted by DJBohn
                    Hey,
                    I apologize to everyone for going a bit over the top.
                    No sweat. I hope things work out.

Doug

Comment

DJ

- - - don't worry about it! Now, try out the solution that I concocted.

Craig

Comment

Craig's Recipe - DON'T DO IT!!!

tried it out on some dearly beloved ABBA vinyl and wish to report the liquid dissolved the disc, ate through the table it was on, then the carpeting, the flooring, the garage ceiling, the concrete floor, the strongbox containing $1,000,000 buried underneath the concrete...it's probably halfway to China by now. I don't mind the loss of my house & valuables, but am upset that Super Trooper by ABBA has been destroyed before I was able to restore it.
                        "You earthlings are all fools, fools, fools, do you hear me ..." Plan 9 From Outer Space

Comment

LOL! Well, if we do not have a good, low cost record cleaning agent there, maybe we have a new, cost effective building demolition tool and war machine! It would just require a little change in marketing stratedgy to make it a success.

Comment

It's a universal solvent - we're all doomed.
                            "You earthlings are all fools, fools, fools, do you hear me ..." Plan 9 From Outer Space

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Theo
                              tried it out on some dearly beloved ABBA vinyl and wish to report the liquid dissolved the disc, ate through the table it was on, then the carpeting, the flooring, the garage ceiling, the concrete floor, the strongbox containing $1,000,000 buried underneath the concrete...it's probably halfway to China by now. I don't mind the loss of my house & valuables, but am upset that Super Trooper by ABBA has been destroyed before I was able to restore it.
                              OK - sounds like there may be a market for the concoction, though - I have some BeeGees and a Black Sabbath I'd like to clean with it.

Dan
                              Dan McDonald

Comment

Sound solution

[QUOTE=3. Diswasher Cleaning Liquid (Part of our Surfacant)

4. Add 7 Teaspoons of Diswasher Liquid to the concoction

[/QUOTE]

Is that dis(c)washer? (aka D4+) or Dis(h)washer Cleaning Liquid?
                                "I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu, The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)

Comment

Working...
                                X