This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE - Competiton guide for DC Live/Forensics

Here's a guide to the filters available in DC5 for those who choose to use DC Live/Forensics.

Please note that this should be used only as a guide and concerns those who choose to enter the contest using their current version of Diamond Cut Live/Forensics Audio Restoration software (DCArt). It does not apply to those who use DC5 or the DC5 DEMO I tried making it an attachment, but txt/doc files are not accepted on the bbs (so just cut and paste the following into a word file):

<font color="red">The following filters found under the ?Forensics? menu in Forensics/Live versions of the program are not allowed:</font>
    1. Adaptive Filter
    2. Polynomial Filter
    3. Spectral Filter
    4. Dynamic Spectral Subtraction (DSS) Filter

<font color="green">Those allowed under the ?Forensics? menu are:</font>
    1. De-Clipper
    2. Brick Wall Filter
    - Low Pass
    - High Pass
    - Band Pass
    - Band Stop

<font color="green">The following filters found under the ?Filter? menu in Forensics/Live versions of the program are allowed:</font>
    1. EZ-Impulse Noise Filter
    2. Expert Impulse Noise Filter (Including HQ mode)
    3. Continuous Noise Filter (Including spectral subtraction mode)
    4. Harmonic Reject Filter
    5. Dynamic Noise Filter (including enhancer mode)
    6. Low, High, Bandpass and Notch Filters
    7. Median and Averaging Filters
    8. 10 band Graphic Equalizer <font color="red">(you are not allowed to use the 20 band graphic equalizer - Sorry!)</font>
    9. Paragraphic Equalizer
    10. The various file conversions (Stereo to? and mono to?. etc.)

<font color="green">The following ?effects? found under the ?Effects? menu in Forensics/Live versions of the program are allowed:</font>
    1. Reverb
    2. Virtual Valve Amplifier
    3. Dynamics Processor (including Expander/Gate, ALC &amp; De-Esser)
    4. Reverse File
    5. Channel Blender
    6. Punch &amp; Crunch (Compressor, Expander &amp; ALC)
    7. Filter Sweeper

If in doubt, consult the DC5 Live/Forensics manual, as it indicates which filters are consistent with DC5 and those supplied only with the DC Live/Forensics version of the program (it will say LIVE ONLY in the index).

Craig, is there anything DC5 doesn't do? - look at how long the list is! (I'm out of breath!) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
    At work I may look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm actually quite busy

Comment

Re: WIN! WIN!! WIN!!!

There is only one more item that I would like to add to Dougs do not use list. If you are using the Live / Forensics version, Direct X plug-ins are not allowed.

Craig
      "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Re: WIN! WIN!! WIN!!!

Just collating a few posts that may be of interest to everyone:
        1. Filter Application Chart
        2. Stereo to mono cleans up fuzz
        3. Equalization
        4. Turnover/Roll Off Frequency
        5. Using The Impulse Noise Filter (INF)
        6. Using The Impulse Noise Filter
        7. Using The Continuous Noise Filter (CNF)
        8. Using The CNF on Shellac
        9. Using the Dyanmics Processor to attack "essing" distortion - can also be used for distortion in general

Hope these links help a little...try using all the various filters available in DC5 to find out what they do and if you want to use them (hint: all filters available in DC5 will be useful on these contest restorations)

Also, look at the preset examples for using:
        1. The Dyanmics filter (compare the de-hiss preset for the demo wav file to that for 78 rpm records) try various settings to see what this filter can do (it beats using a low pass filter)
        2. The Dynamic Processor (have a look at the 45 rpm de-essing distortion setting.....can it be changed to remove distortion from 78 RPM records....or even crackle?) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] - hint: you will need to reduce the Attack time for 78s!
        At work I may look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm actually quite busy

Comment

Working...
        X