No announcement yet.

Ideas for Version Seven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How about adding to MULTIFILTER, parallel processing for 2 streams & recombining, etc

How about, for the next release, adding to the MULTIFILTER, parallel processing for 2 streams & recombining, etc. The multifilter is very nice, except when you want to split off the same file into 2 streams of filters and then mix them together at the end. 1 application would be to split off the ambience of the stereo original by using the channel blender or alternatively the conversion filter in the L-R mode. Then you could run the ambience through a very wet reverb or other chosen effect. Then you would mix the separate effects filter stream back into the main signal, (similar to what pro audio hardware mixing boards do for reverb and other effects). This would allow you to add reverb/effects to the L and R signals but leave the Center signal alone (the ambience would be phase shifted/delayed and would not cause any problems being mixed back in with the original). I have done this manually with an album I was restoring reverb to where I wanted the solo piano in the center to be reverbless while the chamber orchestra in the Left and Right could be enhanced, but it took so long to do it. What do you think? I am sure other people might have similar needs for a 2 stream multifilter with mixing and splitting nodes. Thanks for listening. PS It would be nice to be able to put the MP3 converters into the multifilter also.

Comment

• It is quite complex to do that given all of the permutations that are possible with the multifilter even as it is. This raises the complexity a few orders of magnitude beyond its present complexity. Nonetheless, we are considering it.
      "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

• Ideas for Version Seven

I'd be interested in a way to automate the interpolate feature to fix all impulses in a wav file which have peak gain > some specified dB level.

I'm working with vinyl, and the only pops/clicks I'm concerned about are the ones that prevent raising the gain, for example by 10dB, without clipping.

Currently I use the interpolate on each one, but it would be more accurate if I defined a dB level to trigger the interpolation, and a duration (ms, or samples) to interpolate over.

I'm more interested in this type of trigger, as opposed to the expert INF, because my application has zero tolerance for artifacts or distortion in the processing. But pops and clicks are ok, as long as they don't cause clipping when the gain is boosted.

Thanks.

Stan

Comment

• If that is your goal, then maybe you are using the wrong tool. Have you tried using the Dynamics Processor (found under the Effects Menu) with one of the two Limiter presets (probably "Limiter - Fast Acting"). Then, just adjust the threshold until the peak clicks are clamped below full scale. This would also automate the process for you and not require manual interpolations.

Have you tried that approach?
          Last edited by Craig Maier; 08-06-2006, 09:37 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Craig Maier
            If that is your goal, then maybe you are using the wrong tool. Have you tried using the Dynamics Processor (found under the Effects Menu) with one of the two Limiter presets (probably "Limiter - Fast Acting"). Then, just adjust the threshold until the peak clicks are clamped below full scale. This would also automate the process for you and not require manual interpolations.

Have you tried that approach?
            I havn't but I will tonight! I have been fighing with a well used Peter Paul and Mary album for quite a while now and this might just be the trick I need in my tool box.

Comment

• Keep in mind that this will not eliminate the clicks, just keep their amplitude below a certain threshold value which is what stan_feathers goal was. For some reason, he is not concerned with the elimination of the clicks, just the management of their size.

Comment

• This worked very well and like you say it did not eliminate the clicks at all. But I have been looking for a tool that would help getting things ready for normalization.
                The music I am working on from my own collection is an early PP&M recording that I think was there first piece of vinyl. When I was in my teens I played that album many many times. The results of which are very hard to restore with out leaving anomolities in the music. PP&M recording were very basic music that had little place for hiding problems. Clear clean voices and acompanment. Fix a click and introduce a bump kind of stuff. I do like working with this because it gives me a chance to experiment with more tools.

Comment

• Ideas for Version Seven

I haven't tried the dynamics processor. I did experiment with it once, but I didn't realize it could be used that way. I've had the sw for 2-3 months now, but after finding a way to manually do what I needed, I guess I didn't keep looking.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Stan

Comment

• Auto Silence Delete

This is from Menchi:

When using the detect silence function, an option to place markers at both the beginning and the end of a detected silence, making it very easy to highlight the silence and remove it.

Comment

• Recording VU meters

I don't know if you can do this in 6 or not; I have tried with no luck... so this MAY be a suggestion for 7. In the record mode, the VU meters are quite small as opposed to the ones in the workplace screen. Is there a way to make the recording VU meters larger?

I love the workplace meters... nice and big!

Maybe a bit larger recording meters for us sighted impaired

Geebster...

Comment

• We can look into that. Perhaps a switch to select what feeds the workspace meters would do the trick.

Comment

• Originally posted by Craig Maier
                          We can look into that. Perhaps a switch to select what feeds the workspace meters would do the trick.
                          Yes. That would be great if that could be done. Not that it is impossible to view the meters, it's just I get used to the nice big ones on the main screen when I work on restorations, and it's quite a shock to deal with the small ones in the record mode.

Geebster...

Comment

• Another Idea for Vers. 7...EQ Auto-Leveling (like [Gain] Auto-Leveling)

Hi,

How 'bout developing EQ auto leveling, similar to the feature you already have, [gain] Auto Leveling. This would make the subjective EQ for each file in the Batch Editor sound as close as possible to each other as far as frequency balances. I know it probably would not be perfect but at least some type of processing could be done to get each wav file as close to eachother as possible. Then some tweaking could be done to please the ear on each but the major work would have been already done. This would be GREAT for putting together compilation CDs off of varying EQ'ed sources to make the whole CD sound smooth in the tonal balance in addition to the gain level.
                            Also, maybe this could be done, in addition, to make a dynamic EQ. This would act similar to your excellent Dynamic Noise tool. In other words, if I had a wavefile that consisted of many variously EQ'ed sections or clips, I would not need to chop it up and EQ them separately but could use the Dynamic EQ to get them all sounding similar in one stream. Does this make any sense to you? Thanks.

Comment

• It makes sense and we have toyed with that for a while now. The key is that the user would have to choose a reference track. The others could then be normalized in the frequency domain to match that one. I wonder, however, if it would make the compilation sound boring sonically.

Comment

• RE: Another Idea for Vers. 7...EQ Auto-Leveling (like [Gain] Auto-Leveling)

Hi Craig,

For me, I would like that kind of 'boring'. I like consistency in the tonal quality of songs, at least on 1 album. CD, or project. I am always tempted to grab the EQ controls if any when I hear inconsistent tracks in a CD, like a 'greatest hits' CD. Anyway, that is my take on it.

Comment

Working...
                                X