No announcement yet.

Ideas for Version Seven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I haven't tried the "split and recombine" method. I suspect that it might be useful for some of my older records from the 60s, when I was a teen ager and using REALLY cheap stereos. I actually have a few mono albums, until about '65 they were available as alternatives to the stereo album, and a few dollars ... well ... cheaper.

I haven't tried running two instances of the software, but aside from taxing my computer, I think it would also confuse my brain.

I have used the "bypass" box on the filters, sometimes, but it's a little more cumbersome to stop, back up a bit, and start the filter back up again when I think I heard something I want to verify -- easier if I could just click the mouse and "play from here" in sync. And, of course, If I am happy with the result, I have to remember to run the filter again, for real! THAT'S really the weak link in the chain, and why I tend to run the filter and compare the "before and after" files!

Still, to keep this in perspective, it's just about the only thing I wish I could do that I can't do. And there are alternative methods.

Comment

• Color settings?

I'm a brand new user of DC SIX, having taken advantage of the newsletter offer. Its capabilities are amazing, and I know this may seem trivial, but I was a little disappointed with the minimal color setting options.

I've just stepped up from a great little program called xxxxxxxx, and it had a very flexible color scheme: CE2K Color tab

It allows changing the colors of all aspects of the display - waveform, selection, background, grid, etc. Might I humbly suggest considering something like this for version 7?

Thanks
      Last edited by Craig Maier; 05-20-2006, 09:22 AM.

Comment

• Multifilter bypass simplificaton

Just in case nobody has metioned this before ..

When working with a complex multifilter, trying to get the settings correct, it can be very messy trying to view all the individual filter windows at once, just to see which filters are bypassed.

My suggestion: Have one pop up window option for multifilters ( "Bypass control" ) where the bypass status of the individual filters can not only be seen at a glance, but also changed easily.

This would be a great help when doing previews, trying to determine which filter is not set correctly.

Comment

• Jerome and Menchi,

We will look into both suggestions for DC7.

Thanks -
          "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

• VST support in DC 7?

Will there be supprot for VST plugins in the future. great product by the way (DC6).

Comment

• I am not sure right now. We will look into it, but the plate is getting awfully full as you can see by the length of this thread.

Comment

• or maybe a vst-dx wrapper ...

maybe simpler and more cost and time effective.

also, any plans to to expand the punch and crunch to 5/6 bands with user selectable crosover points and maybe a lookahead peak limiter.

a guy's gotta keep wishing for an all-in-one restoration/remastering solution...

Comment

• Bug or Philosophy?

When I'm finishing up an individual song from an LP, typically for a compilation CD and/or MP3 player, I usually go to "CD Prep," and select "Normalized Gain Scaling," so all songs are at about the same level. I normalize to "-1.00 dB," which is mostly an arbitrary selection, but I want them all the same.

When I try to select this value the mouse (well, I use a trackball) tends to be jumpy and doesn't seem to give me good resolution -- a slight movement of the trackball makes a big change in the value -- so I use the keyboard cursor on the slider to get the proper value.

Now that my hands are on the keyboard I would find it convenient to keep them there, but if I use the "Enter" key DC6 interprets it as clicking on "Cancel" -- the window closes and the operation is abandonned.

It seems more reasonable to me to have the "Enter" key interpreted as clicking on "OK," and having the value accepted.

Comment

• Two things about that:

1. We are considering making the keyboard accelerators programmable by the user. That way you would be able to make them whatever you want them to be.

2. Isn't there a way to adjust the sensitivity of the trackball so that it is not so jumpy so that you can avoid having to use the keyboard? I do not have a trackball, but the mouse that I use does have such an adjustment in the O/S Control panel.

Comment

• Craig, did you and Rick decide if the Spectrogram/graph was to be included in DC7 (as opposed to Forensics version only). I think it is a must for manual impulse noise and thump removal. - makes both that much easier even in the presence of loud music.
                      At work I may look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm actually quite busy

Comment

• Yes, it will be included in DC7 and not just the Forensics version. We may also make some minor improvements to it as well.

Comment

• Something I'd like to see and I suppose it would be simple...a hard limiter...or clipper, if you will.
                          Danny Gilbert

Comment

• Can't you do that right now? If a signal peaks out at, say 0 dB, and you want more clipping, just apply more gain, say +6 dB. Gain changes like that can be had with the Gain Change feature under the Edit menu, the File Conversion Filter or numerous others.

Thereafter, reduce the gain of the file to, say -6 dB with one of the same features. Voila, you will have a crew cut looking clipped waveform.

Or are you looking for something else?

ps - of course, you do know about the soft limiter found in the Dynamics Processor. That produces much softer sounding clipping. I recall that there were two limiter presets under that Effect, I think.

pss - I like your Dukenfields saying, but my favorite is this one:

"Who put the Orange Juice in my Orange Juice?"
                            Last edited by Craig Maier; 07-03-2006, 05:31 PM.

Comment

• Well, shoot, I wasn't aware of that action. I didn't realize raising the peaks above 0dB was actually clipping the waveform. Huh, learn something everday in spite of myself.

What I had in mind is a hard limiter I've seen used in another audio app. All there is in the hard limiter window is a field to enter a numeric value for max amplitude. Say you want to lop off the peaks at -4dB, you just enter "-4" in that field. There's a couple of other fields I can't recall...I think there's a input boost value field, but the other one that stands out in my mind is a check box for linking the channels during limiting. I don't why I recall that one. Anyway, that what I'm thinking of...a one step clipping operation.

Oh yeah, your Dunkenfield quote is a classic too. Anybody care to guess what name Mr. Dunkenfield is better known as? (Don't cheat and Google "Dukenfield". LOL)
                              Danny Gilbert

Comment

• Quoting Danny:

"Anybody care to guess what name Mr. Dunkenfield is better known as? (Don't cheat and Google "Dukenfield". LOL)"

-------------------------------------------------

Why, everyone on the planet knows that one!! One would have to be extremely embarassed by their lack of basic fundamental and essential knowledge to even consider Googleing that.

W. C. Fields
                                Last edited by Craig Maier; 07-05-2006, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X